Chakkarkuru Mulakittathu - Jackfruit seeds in spicy sauce

Let this be my first post on this blog. My favorite side dish for rice. I am seriously not fond of jackfruit. When I was young, I got an upset tummy due to overeating of jackfruit during one of our vacations to India, and from then, I stopped eating it completely. But my love for its seed has been undying. Whenever the seeds are dried, my mom ensures she makes this as she knows I love it. I also make it whenever I have the dried seeds avaiable, but unfortunately I got only a single chance to make it this time, as I didn't have much of the seeds.

Off to the recipe now...

Chakkarkuru Mulakittathu
Serves 4 as side dish



Ingredients:

Jackfruit seeds - 1 cup, soaked in water, skin peeled and outer grated to remove the brown portion (not completely though, leave some on!) and diced into half or quarters
Onion - 1 meduim, thinly sliced
Tomato - 1 meduim, thinly sliced
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Tamarind - size of one small lemon, soaked in hot water
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp (more if you want it more spicy)
Salt to taste
Water - 1/2 cup
For tempering:
Coconut oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Shallots - 5, sliced thinly
Curry leaves, sufficient

Method:

Put all the ingredients except the ones for tempering into a pressure cooker and nicely mix it. Keep it on high flame till the cooker releases three whistles. Now reduce the flame to the lowest possible and let it cook for 25-30 minutes. Switch off and allow the steam to be released on its own. Once done, open the cooker, give it a nice stir to mix it well.

Pour oil into a small pan, heat the coconut oil, splutter the mustard seeds. Fry the shallots and curry leaves till done. Pour it over the chakkarkuru molakittathu and enjoy digging in!!!!

Linking it to Mom's cooking event by Pure Vegeterian Bites...

mom1

* Updated on April 6, 2013 with a better picture! :) Linking this to the Mommy ka Magic event by Kachus Delight...

Labels: , , , , ,