On a cold day, spicy snacks with a cup of hot chai, coffee or even better, hot chocolate is a big yes. However, as I am working, doing this is quite restricted to the weekends. These are very easy to churn out, as what is used does not require much of cooking, except for the potatoes. This is comfort food at its best, as far as I am concerned... :)
Makes approximately 15-20
2 tins of canned Tuna, can be chunks or flakes - I prefer chunks though
1 tsp ginger paste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp paprika powder
2 meduim potatoes, boiled and smashed
3 green chillies, finely chopped
1 meduim onion, finely chopped
Curry leaves and coriander, little, chopped
Salt to taste
3 meduim eggs, lightly beaten
Sufficient breadcrumbs to coat
Oil to fry
Drain the tuna of the oil to the maximum possible. Heat up a fry pan and once it gets hot, dump the tuna onto it. If you are using chunks, smash it lightly with your wooden ladle. Continuously saute the tuna till it becomes dry, ie. the oil portion remaining will vanish and coat all over the tuna. To this, add the ginger paste, turmeric and paprika and give it a nice stir. Switch off the flame and allow to cool. Add this mixture to the smashed potato. Add the chilies, onion, curry leave and coriander and mix well to incorporate all the ingredients properly. Check salt levels and add as necessary.
Make them into balls and flatten in the center, dip it nicely in the beaten egg and coat in breadcrumbs. Deep fry till golden brown and enjoy with ketchup or hot sauce!!!
- For boiling potatoes, wash it nicely, put it into a pressure cooker, add water till its level, add some salt and pressure cook it for 3 whistles. Switch off the flame, let the pressure go off naturally, then open the cooker, drain the water and keep the potatoes out to cool. Once you can handle it, peel off the skin and mash. This way, you can ensure that there is hardly any extra water in the cutlet mixture.
- If the mixture is too soggy, add breadcrumbs to tighten it.
- The spices used above is minimal. You can add pepper to it, or add more chopped chillies for a higher spice level.
- A wonderful addition to this cutlet is a small tin of sweet corn. It gives a beautiful crunch to this cutlet.
- You can even add a Maggi Vege cube to this for an awesome flavor.