Kichadi - My 1st guest post on "Cooking with Thas"!!!

I am so excited. I just had to come online at this time to share it with all of you!!! :)

I am sure everybody might be aware of the blog called Cooking with Thas. When she published her invitation for guest posts, I just jumped at the opportunity. I went ahead and sent her our family recipe called Kichadi, which is a staple during Friday breakfast. 

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that it would be featured immediately!!! It also happens that I am the first one to put across the guest post. 

IMG_0117 

Here is her tried version as published on Facebook.

For the recipe that appeared on her blog, you can click here.

Thank you all for your best wishes and continuous support. I would have never gone ahead with so much confidence if it were not for all of you... :)



Ingredients
  • 1 cup broken moong dal (also called kichadi parippu)
  • 1 cup pachari or basmati rice
  • 100 gm jaggery, melted in little water (add more if you want it sweeter)
  • 1 tin (400 ml) coconut milk
  • 1-1/2 glasses (300 ml) milk (you can also make it 1 glass milk and ½ glass water)
  • 5 tbsp grated coconut
  • A pinch of salt
  • Ghee for serving
Instructions
  1. Wash the rice and dal well till water runs clear.
  2. Soak the rice-dal in water for around 30 minutes. This is actually not compulsory,but really shortens the cooking time.
  3. Drain off the soaking water and add along with the rest of the ingredients in a pressure cooker.
  4. Close the lid and cook upto 3 whistles, then reduce the flame to minimum and cook for around 15 minutes.
  5. Switch off the flame and allow the pressure to go by itself.
  6. Open the lid of the pressure cooker, mix all well and serve with a dollop of pure ghee!!!




Labels: , , , , ,