Mexican Flan

I do have a sweet tooth, but I can tell you one thing - once I started cooking, I really cannot eat Nutella, condensed milk or the likes directly into my mouth. I somehow feel that they are better when included in cooking. Seriously!!! These were things I could keep licking my spoon and dipping it over and over again, but now I have got over the urge to do so. Therefore, last time, when I baked a cake for our schoolmates get-together (will post sometime later), I had this remaining dulce de leche, called DDL with love, lying in the fridge and was really wondering what to do with it. Seriously, if it was not for blogosphere, I would have never know what DDL is!!!

As usual, I hung onto my phone surfing for some idea - I love to do that!!! - to finish it off and I found a recipe called "Mexican Flan". I really don't remember which site I adopted this recipe from. Flan is very similar to Creme Custard and cooked almost in the same fashion. What I could find is that normally flans have a caramel topping, however Mexicans prefer to use DDL or cajeta, as they call it. With no second thoughts, I just went ahead and did it. It is so easy to mix up all and arrange. The only difficulty is to wait till it gets done and then refrigerated, before you can gobble it down!

Mexican Flan
Serves 4

Mexican Flan

Ingredients:

1/2 cup dulce de leche (store bought or homemade)
1/2 can (14oz) evaporated milk
1/2 can (12 oz) condensed milk
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/8 tsp cinnamon powder
Sugar, if required

Method:

Preheat oven to 160 degree C.

In a bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk till it becomes slightly pale. Add the evaporated-condensed milks and cinnamon powder and mix thoroughly. Check for sweetness and add sugar if necessary. Since the topping is DDL, I didn't add any sugar at all.

Wash and dry 4 ramekins. Coat the bottom of each ramekin lavishly with the DDL till everything you have is finished. Pour the beaten mixture equally into the ramekins. Cover with aluminium foil and poke a hole on top. Take a large oven-proof pan, fill with 1 inch warm water and place the ramekins into it. Push the tray into your oven and bake for almost 1 hour till done. It will be done when you poke a cake tester/ toothpick and it comes out clean.

Once done, take out the ramekins, allow to cool to room temperature and refrigerate for a few hours until well set.

For serving, run a knife on the edges of the ramekins and slowly dump onto your plate. Gobble it down!!!

Linking this to the Non-Indian food event hosted at Ghar ka Khana by Zesty South Indian Kitchen

Favorite recipes non indian

Also linking it to Flavors of Cuisine - Mexico event hosted by My Food Treasures and Erivum Puliyum



Glad to be participating... :)

Labels: , , ,