Gajar Halwa/ Carrot Halwa

Some posts appear much before they have to actually appear. Just like this Gajar Halwa I made for my colleagues last week... I was definitely not intending to post this anytime sooner as there are so many recipes sitting in my drafts and I wanted to finish off the older ones before I go to the newer ones. However, when somebody is not willing to take down the recipe orally after eating it and insists on seeing it as a blog post, what do I do? :)

There she helps... :)
I had quite a bit of carrots sitting in my fridge and I had to finish it off. I checked with my colleagues whether they wanted halwa or kheer, and the response came in unanimous tone - HALWA! And it had been quite sometime since I had made it. Once I peeled the carrots and started grating it, my elder one, who was just up from her long sleep after her jet-lag  came and asked me if she could grate the carrots. I was pleasantly surprised! This is the first time she has asked me if she could help and that too with household chores! I was kind of worried as our marble top is slightly high, made for tall people like me. ;) My elder one is actually taller than her age category kids. I told her that her hands may ache. She gave me a disappointed look and told, "Ummi, I am bored, I want to do something!"

OK, fine, so that means I get rid of the work of grating carrots. Hehe... she went on to grate all except two. Her hands did finally ache! :) But I was amazed at the speed she finished them off, I didn't expect her to do it so fast. So going to say that maybe the halwa tasted awesome because her little hands had grated them and I was pestered for this recipe.

Gajar Halwa/ Carrot Halwa
Serves 6


Ingredients:

700 gm carrots, peeled and grated
2 tbsp ghee
600 ml milk
1/2 cup sugar (as per taste)
A pinch of cardamom
2 tbsp chopped nuts (I used cashes, almonds and pistachios)
1 small pack cream

Method:

Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker. Saute the grated carrots on medium heat for 5 minutes. Pour in the milk. Close the lid of the cooker and cook for one whistle. Switch off and let the pressure go on its own.

Open the lid, switch on the flame to medium and boil the mixture till the milk reduces. Keep stirring it in between to ensure that it does not get stuck at the bottom. When the mixture turns thick, add in the sugar and mix well. The sugar will melt and the mixture will again loosen up. Cook till the mixture tightens again.

Finally add the cardamom, nuts and cream and give it a nice stir. Cook for another 5 minutes and switch off. Cool to room temperature and enjoy! If you love it chilled, then leave it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before devouring it. Yum!!!

Notes:

1. OK, now why did I cook the carrots in the pressure cooker? I love my carrot halwa to be really smashed up. I don't like to have bites in it - I would prefer biting the nuts rather than the carrot!!! So if you like your carrots to leave bites, then skip this step and continue with the remaining steps.
2. My sugar levels are pretty low, so please increase it as per your taste!

Labels: , , ,