Madras Mutton Curry

Yesterday was a mad day - fast but fun. Office was busier than usual, considering that I had to leave by lunch time to pick my umma from the airport. The airport was crazier than usual - she took almost 2 hours to come out after immigration and baggage check, which was pretty maddening. I was alone to pick her up and waiting was making me going crazy. Finally, after braving the roads, we reached home by evening, after which I had a small rice meal and dozed off for almost an hour and a half, when I had thought of just half an hour. Woke up to find loads of guests at home, in the form of relatives who are in town as part of their summer vacation holidays.

The best thing to happen was the compliment I got from a very seasoned tea drinker, my D's elder brother (whom we call moothaappa) about the chai I had made for him. He was pretty much impressed and I was on the top of the world. Hehe... then what followed was a lot of giggling, chatting, screams of excitement from children, dinner and finally a messed up house which was swept by me from one side and mopped by my D (he loves to clean!!!) from the other. Basically it was a tiring yet a fun day altogether. Enjoyed it to the core... :)

For all that of yesterday, today is pretty silent. There's nobody at home except me and the younger one and we are lost as to what to do. The HD is as usual busy... :( But then, as what I would do, thanks to the blog, trying my hand at some new recipes... hehe... Today is a sumptuous mutton curry, that I had made from one of my cookbooks that adorn a large portion of my shelf. Found it really lip-smacking and definitely, would make it again... :)

Madras Mutton Curry
Serves 4
Recipe adapted from "Timeless Cuisines - Recipes from Harrisons"



Ingredients:

500 gm mutton, washed
1 tbsp oil
2 large onions, thinly sliced
7-8 curry leaves
Salt to taste
1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
2 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 small potatoes, cubed
4 tbsp coconut, ground

Grind into a paste:
1 tbsp ginger paste
1 tbsp garlic paste
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds

Method:

Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Fry the onions till golden brown. Add the mutton and curry leaves and fry for a few more minutes. Ensure that the onion does not become too brown. Add the salt and the ground paste and fry for a couple of minutes till the raw smell goes. 

Add the masala powders along with the potatoes and fry for a couple of minutes. Pour around 1 cup of water, not more than that. Close the pressure cooker and cook till the mutton is done. Allow the pressure to go by itself. 

Open the pressure cooker, put the curry on simmer and add the grounded coconut to the curry. Cook for 3 minutes. Serve hot with rice or chappathi. 

Labels: , , ,