Eggless Crispy Doughnuts

Sometimes, you need to go that extra mile to push yourself to make something. Doughnuts have been in my mind ever since my interest in cooking developed and my relationship with yeast had improved. However, I just kept procrastinating over it, even though whenever I used to crave for some, my next stop used to be Krispy Kreme - yes, I would always prefer it over Dunkin Donuts, at any given point of time!

So when this month's Egg-less Baking Challenge arrived, my sleeping soul woke up. Hah... something I have always wanted to make, but turn it eggless? Hmm... This challenge was provided by Jayanthi from Sizzling Veggies. Even though normally baking recipes are provided, since this was an interesting challenge, Gayathri went for it. Thank you so much, Gayathri!!! I have finally made doughtnuts and I am happy with the way they turned out to be! My HD loved it to the maximum, my B and D thought it was close to store bought (I thought that compliment was a bit over exaggerated! Hehe...), my umma happily munched on it without the glaze on top and Rasha carried a couple to school in her tiffin. Amn't I a happy person!!!

Eggless Crispy Doughnuts
Makes 18
Original Recipe Source: All Recipes


Ingredients:

2 tsp active dry yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water
150 ml lukewarm milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup yogurt
25 gm butter, melted
3 cups all purpose flour *
Oil, for frying
For the chocolate glaze:
1 cup icing sugar
4 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk

Method:

Mix the yeast into the water and leave for five minutes to proof. Add in a large bowl the milk, sugar, salt, yogurt, butter and the yeast mixture and beat well with a whisk. Add 1 cup of flour and continue to beat. Now slowly add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and bring together the dough till you get a sticky dough, that does not stick to the pan. Knead well for 5-8 minutes. Leave covered with a cloth to double in size, approximately 1-1/2 hours. 

Punch down the dough, take small balls, roll into diskettes of around 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Cut with cookies cutters into shape - I used a large round cookie cutter and the small flower cutter for the centre, even though it looked nowhere like a flower! ;) Set aside in a large cookie pan and leave for around 20 minutes, covered by a damp cloth. 

Meanwhile, let's prepare the glaze. In a flat and deep bowl, mix all the ingredients well till no lumps are formed (even though I had quite a bit of lumps of icing sugar, but it was OK!!!)

Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Fry one doughnut at a time on meduim-low flame till both the sides turn brownish. Drain and leave on cooling rack. Dip one face of the doughnut into the glaze and leave to cool. Continue till all doughnuts are done. 

Devour as is or with a cup of coffee, if you have the patience to make one!!! Hehe...

As I sunk my teeth in... ;)

Notes:

1. For the dough, add the all purpose flour till the dough comes together but is sticky. Otherwise, the doughnut would have become really dry.

2. My glaze was not perfect. I should have whisked it with my silicon whisk rather than with the spoon to avoid the grainy texture. But then, it was OK, nobody complained!!! ;)

My other Eggless Baking Challenges were the Amazing Dinner Rolls and the Eggless Tiramisu Cake, that I absolutely enjoyed doing... :)

Labels: , , , ,