Beef Roast

I'm on a total mental block. Seriously... I wanted to do this post yesterday but when I opened the draft, my mind went blank. Then I thought, not today then, maybe tomorrow... Now when that "tomorrow" has arrived, I am in the same situation.... Hmmm....

Actually, I hate to go directly to the recipe, because I do not favor that style. I like to ramble a lot before I actually get to the point, in real life as well!!! ;) Part of my nature, you see... It's starting to get quite hot and humid here, so the summer is very much in. As usual, the A/C in the car never seems to be cool enough and the sun is always too warm. People in the GCC have to be extremely careful in this weather. Keep drinking water, use sunscreen, wear your goggles while out and try to be indoors most of the time. The chance of dehydration is extremely high. On the same note, back home, it's raining cats and dogs, in fact as per the met dept, it is the heaviest rainfall in 22 years... hmm... Now I really want to go back to see it, but then I know, no chance...

Today's recipe was made when my HD's friends had come for lunch. I feel pleasing men is quite a tough task, as they expect women to make much better than they do. Do you ladies agree that food prepared by men taste better than women? Or is it because of our tongue tastes? I guess it has to be second one... Anyway, this roast was highly appreciated by all his friends who came around, saying that it tasted really authentic. I did not refer anywhere for the recipe, kind of mixed and matched the way my umma prepares it (even though it is very rare!!!) and was really happy with the result. I have made this a couple of times again and was really happy with the way it turned out to be...

Beef Roast
Serves 4


Ingredients:

500 gm beef, washed and patted dry
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tbsp crushed black peppercorns
2 onions, sliced
1 tomato, chopped
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
2 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tbsp pepper powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp fennel powder
Salt to taste
For tempering:
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 cup coconut bites, preferably fresh
6 shallots, roughly chopped
8-10 curry leaves
4-5 dried chillies

Method:

Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add the peppercorns and fenugreek seeds and saute for a couple of minutes. Add the onions and cook till transparent. Then add the tomatoes and the pastes and cook till slighly mashed. Add in the masalas and salt and cook till the raw smell is gone. Now add the beef and mix till the masala is well coated. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook till the beef is done - the cooking time depends on the beef. Mine was done in half an hour. 

Open the pressure cooker and keep the masala on high flame for the liquid to dry up. If your beef is sufficiently cooked, then ensure to drain the beef out and only boil the masala till dry. Dry the masala till it gets all coated on the beef.

Now for tempering, heat a frying pan and pour in the coconut oil. Once it becomes hot, splutter the mustard seeds. Add the coconut bites and shallots and fry till well done. Add the curry leaves and dried chillies and saute for a couple of minutes. Dump it into your roast and mix well. Enjoy the aroma first and then devour!!! :)

Labels: , , , ,