Jodhpuri Murg/ Chicken

Yesterday, I was seriously thinking about going on a blog break. After having crossed 100 posts, I feel I need to slow down a bit on this running around. Unfortunately, me being the person I am, I will actually not go for a break now. Why? Because I know that I am in for a break next month due to Ramadan. Yes, our month of fasting is fast arriving and that time, I know that I will have no time for the blog - at all. So when I have time for it, let me post as there are loads in my drafts literally staring at me! :) This is the same situation that I have got to do with my leave at work - I have it pending since last October and I have to take it before it expires... really don't know where to schedule it... hmm...

I guess I will go on an overload of chicken on my blog. Yesterday, it was the sumptuous Badami Chicken offered by Shibi, and without realizing much, I put up Jodhpuri Chicken on my "Coming up Next" position. Once Shibi's post went live, did I realize that I had lined up another chicken post. Hmm... I should have put in a sweet or if not, a snack at-least. Khair, koi baath nahi, I will go as per my schedule as set by my subconscious mind. I saw this recipe on Vidhya's page (who is a fellow UAE-ian!) and immediately put it into preparation. We devoured it down along with chapathis and it was really yummy.... A definite to try...

Jodhpuri Murg
Serves 4-5
Recipe adapted from here


Ingredients:

1 kg chicken, cut into meduim sized peices
4 large onions, sliced
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
2 large tomatoes, pureed
4 tbsp yogurt, lightly beaten
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
2 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
Salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
3 cardamom, slightly crushed
1 bay leaf
2 dry red chillies, broken
5-6 black peppercorns, slightly crushed
1 tbsp kasuri methi

Method:

Heat 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan. Add the whole spices and fry till the aroma comes. Add the onions and cook till the onions become tender. Add the ginger-garlic paste along with the masala powders and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the tomato puree and cook till the onions get completely cooked. 

Heat the remaining oil in a kadai and shallow fry the chicken pieces along with salt and a pinch of turmeric for five minutes, till the outside becomes white in color. Add this chicken along with the yogurt into the cooked masala and continue cooking it on low flame till the chicken becomes tender and is well cooked. 

Finally sprinkle with the kasoori methi and serve hot with roti, naan or rice!!!

Labels: , ,