Dates Lassi

Oh, how could I forget??? I am feeling so bad not having shared this with all of you... a couple of Thursdays back, as I got out of my office, my headphones plugged into my ears, I get a call with a number, reading "Singapore" at the bottom. Before I continue, if there is one rule that I hate to follow, it is not talking directly on the mobile phone. I hate the headset or the blue-tooth. I just don't know why, I know it's much safer for me to use but still... Come Ramadan and I am automatically using the headset because during the afternoons, you get to see such bizarre drivers, that you would doubt whether they ever learned driving before coming on to the roads!!! So I am forced to use it for concentration sake... OK, so continuing, I was at the signal, so I stare at my phone and think, "Who's calling me from Singapore?" Suddenly, it hit me, Jehanne!!! I had given her my number. Thus started a 22 minute long conversation with my bestest blogging friend... I loved each and every moment that I spoke to her, felt like somebody just next door... Thank you so much sweetheart for that telecom, I absolutely loved it... :) On Saturday, I spoke to my fellow UAE-ite Humi as well and just like I stated in my guest post for her, I cannot wait to get my schedules back to normal and meet up with her... I'm so glad to have got some real good friends in the blogging circles, and I take it really as a blessing from the Almighty... :)

Last post, I gave a synopsis about the breaking of the fast, Iftar. Today, I will just brief about the opening meal, Suhoor - the predawn meal. This is normally eaten before the Fajr prayers, which is at the break of the dawn. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Suhoor is a blessed meal, so do not omit it, even if one of you only takes a sip of water, for Allaah and His angels send blessings on those who eat suhoor.” The meal ensures that the fasting person has enough energy to carry on with his duties during the fasting hours and hence becomes of utmost importance to have a well balanced meal. The preferred food is again dates and water, though it is also advised to add sufficient carbohydrates and proteins, without over-stuffing of course!

Going off to today's recipe, a very straightforward, packed with goodness lassi or a yogurt drink, with dates. I've used honey to further sweeten it because the dates I used were not that sweet. Quite a refreshing and tummy filling drink it was... 

Dates Lassi
Serves 4


Ingredients:

15 dates, washed and deseeded, chopped
1 cup yogurt
1 cup milk
1-1/2 cup cold water
2 tbsp honey (as per sweetness)

Method:

Dump all the ingredients into your blender and blend until smooth. Serve in glasses and dump in! :)

Notes:

If the dates are sweet enough, you don't need to add honey. You can even add 1/4 cup of condensed milk for a richer version!

Updated with new picture on June 29, 2015... :)

Old pic...


Labels: , , ,