Kari (Cinnamon Flavored Rice and Coconut Payasam) - My 6th guest post for Gheza-e-Shirin

This month seems to be a month of guest posts!!! Hehe... The earlier one was the Masala Aleesa for Yummy Foods, now this one... :)

Blogging has opened up doors and windows to many mutually respecting and nourishing friendships. I must say that even though I have not met Humi personally, - InShaAllah, hope to meet her very soon after sorting out our schedules- I have always felt good about chatting to her about general issues and food, of course. She has been one sister who has been so kind to acknowledge my existence each and every time. Every comment of hers brightens up my day and I look forward to the classic traditional recipes that she shares on her page. Please do not think I am flattering you, Humi… it’s just the way I feel for you… 

When she requested me to do a guest post for her blog, I was very much keen to take onto it and another thing I wanted to do was to give her a very specific recipe that belongs to my background. That is why I thought, why not give a recipe which is made by my umma, when she has a lot of guests to entertain! That includes days like Eid as well. Since this is not made really frequently, all our uncles who visit us have more than a serving when they come over to have it. Personally speaking, I am not very fond of it but the HD and kids are, so I know for sure I will need to make this for them in the future! 



So to know how Kari, which is a cinnamon flavored rice and coconut payasam, is made, hope on to Humi's space

Jazakallah khairan dear for providing me a lovely space on your blog. Definitely I treasure this moment and hope our friendship only keeps blooming, InShaAllah... :)



Kari - Cinnamon Flavored Rice and Coconut Payasam
Serves 6
Recipe courtesy: My umma!


Ingredients:

1/2 cup rice, soaked overnight
1/4 coconut, grated
500 ml water
200 gm jaggery, or as per sweetness
2 peices of cinnamon, 1 inch each, slightly pound
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
1 tsp salt
1 large ripe plantain (nenthrapazham), chopped
Sufficient water

Method:

Coarsely grind the rice and coconut in your blender. Mix the water, jaggery, cinnamon and cardamom and bring to boil, till the jaggery is melted. Add the coarsely ground rice mixture and give it a nice stir. Add in the salt and the plantain. Cook till the mixture starts to thicken, around 5 minutes. Check for the sweetness and adjust the salt levels. Add water to slightly loosen the mixture. Serve warm.

The payasam thickens when kept and therefore, just before serving, add some warm water and give it a nice mix. 

The taste of this payasam is primarily the cinnamon, and also gives the sourness of the cooked plantain. You may replace the plaintain with some cooked chana dal as well, which is another variation.

Labels: , , ,