Soya Chunks Masala

I'm shocked I don't have a topic to write about... hehe... so strange of me, right? Let me leave you guys with a quote - something I am trying to learn myself...


Since the whole house knows that my D does not like soya chunks, we never keep stock of the same. I keep seeing recipes of soya chunks cooked in various formats and I really get intrigued as to how this would taste if properly cooked. So at a time when D was on his home visits, I bought a pack. Called my HD and asked, "Are you OK with soya?" "Yes, why ask?" "If you don't eat, then there is no point in cooking, right?" "I'm OK with anything, you know that..."

So with the help of google grandma (as she knows everything!!! ;) ), I started looking around for a masala recipe. Mixing and matching as per our requirements, I prepared this as a lazy dinner and served it with the pack of bread which was threatening to be stale. I should say, I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. Nor did it smell weird like I've read from many places, but it tasted so "non-vegeterian"!!!

Soya Chunks Masala
Serves 2



Ingredients:

1 cup soya chunks, small one
1 tbsp oil
2 cloves
A small pc cinnamon
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 green chillies, slit
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tbsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp garam masala powder
Salt to taste

Method:

Pressure cook the soya chunks in two glasses of water and a pinch of salt for one whistle. Once the pressure is gone, drain the soya chunks into a seive and squeeze of the water. Keep aside. 

Heat oil in a saucepan. Add the cloves, cinnamon and cumin and allow it to splutter. Add the onions and the green chillies and saute till translucent. Add the ginger, garlic and tomato paste and allow to cook till the raw smell is gone. Add the masalas and saute till a nice aroma comes. Adjust the salt. Add the drained soya chunks into this, give it a nice mix and allow it to simmer for 5 minutes for the masala to incorporate. 

Serve warm with chappathis or bread!

Labels: , , ,