Be My Guest - Butter Chicken

As always, I've been very vocal about my friendships that has come as a part of blogging. One such friendship was from Humi of Gheza-e-shirin. An acquaintance which started by leaving comments on each other's blog, then I gave her the Leibster award and that was when our first email communication started. From then, we have been regular on emails and G-talk whenever possible and I find her a level headed, strong woman with a head of her own!!! :) Recently, we had a long chat and I absolutely enjoyed it. When I asked her for a guest post to be published as a part of my Be My Guest series and close to Eid, she jumped back at me for my guest post. See how calculative she is!!! However, the wait was worth it. She ensured that to celebrate the Eid feast, she provided me loads of "virtual" calories!!! Hehe...

Thank you so much darling for taking time and giving this yummilicious post. I have to say that I had to pester her quite a bit into doing the below introduction on what Eid means to her. She kept saying, "No Rafee, I don't write as good as you!" I just told her, "Try na, in your language, I am ready to take anything!!!" When she wrote, she did write beautifully. Don't you all agree? It just means that we all have a hidden writer in all of us just waiting to be explored! So Humi, take my word seriously and start writing up intros for your blogposts... :P

OK, so I stop my blabbering and move straight to Humi and her lovely Butter Chicken...



I don't know at what point Rafee & me became good friends but I can say for sure, her comments on my space started this friendship.Her place is such where a person feels like pouring her heart out. And today , I also feel like doing the same. Well friends I am Huma Kalim (known as Humi in the blogging word) & the author of the blog Gheza-e-shiriin  Meaning For the love of Food. I feel her space is the right place to reveal my true identity &  so I am doing . So people , not  to bore you  more with my petty details  lets move to the recipe.

It's time to bid Ramadan farewell and look forward to Eid al-Fitr .After 30 days of praying, Eid is a celebration for those who fasted & spent  the entire month in complete devotion to the Almighty . Coming from a big family , Eid for me is special time to spend with the loved ones. 

On the last day of Ramadan, after maghrib prayers running towards the terrace for  moon sighting. Fighting & arguing who saw the moon first. These memories were always  to be cherished. Preparation starts at the night itself , dry fruits would be cut, samosas to be made for guests.New menus ideas would be given by each one of us. Each one of us preparing the dish in which they are expertise.  And thus finalizing the menu for the afternoon party.

I remember ammi was the first person to rise as she had to prepare the Sheer Khurma for the entire family. Men will be getting ready for prayers & we girls were busy cleaning the house & preparing snacks.  My father being the eldest in the family all the relatives used to come at our place for breaking fast with sheer Khurma before going for eid prayers. After the men had gone for prayers, we all women performed Eid Namaz together with my ammi leading all of us.


Miss this after I have come to Dubai.  I have tried to keep the tradition alive in this foreign land , but home is always a home. Today I am sharing with you a special dish , which is all time favorite  in my family - Butter Chicken.


Yes butter & it has loads of butter. Well , we are in a festive mood as it is Eid. And so indulging in a bit of calories for a day is not dangerous. Right. So lets get straight to the recipe.

Ingredients:

1 kg Chicken
1/2 tsp red chilly powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
1 tbsp Thecha or green chilly paste

II
Ground the below with water to make a paste
2 medium sized onions Or  2 big spoons onion paste

III
Ground the below with water to make a paste
1 tbsp Melon seeds (Char Magaz)
1 tbsp  cashew Nuts

IV
Ground the below  to make a paste
4 tbsp curd
2 tomato

V
1/2 tsp Vinegar
2 tbsp tomato Ketchup
100 gm butter ( I use Amul)
1/4 cup oil
1/2 tbsp kasoori methi

Method:

1.      Put all No I ingredient in a cooker. Mix till all the pcs of chicken is coated with the masalas.  Pressure cook for 2 whistles. When cool open the lid & cook till all the water has evaporated
2.      Take oil in a Kadai. Add in onion paste (II) & fry till it is reddish brown.
3.      Add in the chicken. Stir well
4.      Now add in the cashew & melon seeds paste (III). Stir & cook for 2 - 3  minutes
5.      Add in 1/2 of the butter. Stir
6.      Now add the curd tomato paste (IV)  & cook for few minutes
7.      Add in tomato ketchup & vinegar.
8.      Cover & cook till oil begins to show from its side. 
For tempering
1.      Heat the remaining butter in a pan.
2.      When hot add in kasoori methi. 
3.      Pour this mixture over the prepared chicken.
4.      Cover &  put the flame off

Serve hot with Tandoori roti, chapati & rice.

Notes: 
ยท  Chicken can be cooked in a deep heavy vessel. Put all the ingredients , cook on high flame for 10 minutes. Later slow the flame & cook till all the water has evaporated.


I guess I've been able to do justice for the festivities of Eid with this yummy Butter Chicken from Humi! All I am going to do now is pair it with some Neychoru/ Ghee Rice and just dump it down, what say? ;)

Wish you all a lovely weekend ahead... :) 

Labels: ,