Chocolate Monkey Bread

Eid bloom...
Ramadan and Eid has come to an end... So quick... I feel quite numb doing this post. Somehow, my brain still cannot register the fact that those lovely days are over. It all came too quick and there was a total frenzy at home. Umma and I were immersed in cooking and feeding, apart from the Eid prayers and the loads of guests who were there at home. Whatever said and done, enjoyed every bit of it. My umma very tactfully ensured that I take the responsibility of making the biriyani on the day of Eid! Hmm... Made mutton biriyani and my umma chipped in with fried chicken and paal pizhinjathu. OK, please don't force me to share the mutton biriyani here, as I was not fully satisfied with outcome, even though it was all wiped up and I had some pretty happy tummies at home! We had it for the next day for lunch as well, so at least it meant, the second day was relaxed with no cooking at all! :)

Since I didn't want to break my head on which post I should be working on next, I just decided to complete the Home Bakers Challenge of breads, which is being hosted by Manjula of Desi Fiesta. After thinking a few times and going through my pantry, I decided to bake the Monkey Bread. First of all, I loved the idea of the pull apart and then I loved the brown sugar-cinnamon combination! Within two hours, I had the house smelling of freshly baked yeasted bread. Thankfully, I had guests that day so I served it to them, who loved it! At home, already I have a big bad name of looking at sweet bakes only, but then somehow everybody gobbled up a single piece each and liked it. Thank you Manjula for this lovely challenge, really enjoyed doing it! :) 

Chocolate Monkey Bread
Serves 6


Ingredients:

1 cup warm water
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp instant yeast
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 tbsp melted butter
For assembling:
1/3 cup melted butter
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 cup chocolate chips

Method:

Mix the sugar and yeast in the water without lumps and set aside for around 15 minutes or till frothy. Add in 1 cup of the flour, salt and vanilla essence and mix it well, it will be of batter consistency. Add in the remaining 1 cup of flour and knead to make it into a dough. The consistency would neither be hard nor sticky. Give it a final knead with the melted butter. Keep aside on a surface, covered for around one hour or till it doubles in size.

Meanwhile, we can keep the assembling ingredients ready. Keep the melted butter handy with a silicon brush. Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon powder together in a plate and set aside. Keep the chocolate chips in another small bowl. Grease a 6 inch bundt pan generously with butter or cooking spray.

Punch down the dough and divide into 12 equal balls. Spread a ball on the palm of your hand into a small round, stuff little chocolate chips and roll into a ball, to seal the chips inside. Coat with the brown sugar mixture well and place it in the bundt. Repeat this process till the dough is finished. I placed 8 at the bottom and 4 at the top. Sprinkle on top the remaining brown sugar mixture, if any.

Preheat the oven to 170 degrees for 20 minutes. Set aside the dough to puff up till the preheating is done. Bake for 30 minutes or till the crust looks crisp. Cool in the bundt for five minutes, then slowly shift to a cooling rack, since the bread will pull apart.

Serve warm with a cup of coffee!!! Yumm...


My notes:

1. This bread is best if it is taken the same day. However, it tastes good enough the next day also. Ensure to have it after microwaving it for 30 seconds.
2. You can omit the chocolate chips and have the bread just with the coating and butter.
3. I limited the cinnamon due to the tastes of my family. You can very well use around 1 tsp cinnamon powder or more, to make it more "cinnamony".

Labels: , , , ,