Kulfi Falooda

There is this little shop a few buildings away from where we stay, which is hidden in the midst of a lot of buildings and textile shops. All that outlet sells is Pakistani sweets and falooda. The queue of people to have their falooda keeps increasing on a daily basis. Even the quantity that they serve in a bowl has shown a decrease over the years, even thought the prices have gone up! Whatever said and done, the falooda they serve is a class apart. From the time we were small, when my D heard about the outlet from one of his friends, we have been a regular over there. He would treat us to it at least once in a month, amid to the protests of my umma. Nowadays, we don't have it much thanks to our faster pace of life, but then when my B craves for it, you will see him coming with a couple of packs of this falooda, to be relished from home. 

When Minnie of The Lady 8 Home announced that she is hosting the SNC challenge for this month and the recipe is Falooda, I stared at it for sometime. Normally, if you go to search for falooda recipes, it will have a mix of vermicelli, fruits, puffed basil seeds, nuts, icecream and rose milk. But the recipe she had shared was so close to what we get to buy from the outlet, that I had to just make it. I just held on to my B, telling him not to buy it from there and that I would be making it for him soon. To convince him that I would keep my word, I bought the falooda sev and the seeds well in advance. Every weekend, he would come and ask me, "Thaatha, you have been promising falooda, when is it coming?" 

Finally, this weekend, I kept my word and made it for him. If I say the recipe serves 3, he ate 2 servings and one serving was shared between my HD, me and the kids!!! That explains how much he loved it and how much we had to be satisfied with what we got to eat!!! :) I don't think I have to say that this is going to be something regular in my house from now on, considering the ease with which it can be put together! Thank you so much Minnie for sharing, I am really grateful!!! 

Kulfi Falooda
Serves 3


Ingredients:

1/8 cup tukmalinga (basil seeds)
2 cups milk
10 strands saffron
4 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp rose syrup
25 gm falooda sev
2 tbsp pista kernels
2 tbsp cashewnuts
2 tbsp almonds
3 store bought malai kulfi

Method:

Soak the tukmalinga seeds in one cup of water till all puffed. Store it in the refrigerator till ready to use. 

Heat one cup of milk in a saucepan. Add the saffron strands and allow to boil till the strands gel in. Add in the sugar and mix well. Set aside to cool.

Cook the falooda sev in water till done. Sieve the sev and directly put it into the saffron infused milk. Store in the fridge till ready to use. 

In the other cup of milk, mix in the rose syrup. Store this in the refrigerator as well.

Crush the nuts in a ziplock bag using a rolling pin. Set aside.

At the time of serving, bring out all the prepared ingredients in the fridge. In a bowl, first spread the sev from the saffron milk. Add in 1/3rd of the saffron milk and 1/3rd of the rose milk. Scoop out 1/3 of the basil seeds and mix well into the mixture. Chop a kulfi and place it in the center. Finally sprinkle the crushed nuts on the top.

Finally, all you need to do is - DEVOUR!!! :)

Labels: , , ,