No Bake Crunchy Pineapple Bread Pudding

Peekaboo...
My kinda days are coming!!! :) Even though the temperatures are past 40 degrees in the afternoon, the mornings and evenings are getting pleasant. Please read "pleasant" as temperatures between 32-40 degrees. It may sound drastic for people across the Gulf, but then this temperature is perfect for beach visits and barbeque, without much risk of getting sun burns! Since I started work last week, I have been loving the warm breeze and the partly cloudy skies, with the sun playing hide and seek occasionally, just like you see in that picture. Life is getting back to its pacy best with Rasha back to school and a lot of things waiting to happen, but then even though it does scare me a bit in between, I still make myself think that I should be able to manage it. After all, is there any sense in worrying something which we cannot control at present? No, right... :)

Off to the recipe for today, another make-ahead dessert!!! Ah, how much I love it! This dessert was made when my umma and D suddenly decided to have guests at home for night, on the same day afternoon. While umma and I finalized the menu for dinner, she gave me the honors of deciding on the dessert. Gosh, now what do I do? Payasams or kheers are fine for lunch, but somehow, I feel it doesn't gel well with dinner. As usual, browsing through my mind folders, I suddenly remembered this dessert that I had bookmarked long back. Seriously, this is such an easy dessert to make, provided you have the ingredients in hand. It hardly took me around 15 minutes to put them altogether and dump it in the fridge. As the guests had the pudding, they just couldn't guess what all had gone in, apart from the pineapple and the praline (I must be joking if they don't... hehe...), but the bread part is simply not traceable. All thought it was cake!!! :) What's more, it's no-bake!!! Yaay...

No Bake Crunchy Pineapple Bread Pudding
Serves 4-5
Recipe courtesy: Marias Menu


Ingredients:

1 sachet of non-diary whipping powder, prepared as per instructions **
1 packet (250 gm) thick cream
1 large tin (570 gm) pineapple slices
5-6 slices big bread, or as required
4-5 tbsp praline

Method:

Beat the whipped cream and the thick cream till well combined. Drain the syrup from the pineapple slices and keep aside. Cut the pineapple into small pieces.

In your pudding dish, pour half of the beaten cream. Dip the bread into the pineapple syrup and layer on top of the cream. Sprinkle half of the sliced pineapple and half of the praline on top. Pour over the remaining cream and top with the remaining pineapple and praline. Cover and chill for 3 hours, prior to serving.

Notes:

To make praline, coarsely chop 1/4 mixed nuts (cashews, pistachios, almonds). Keep a large aluminium foil well greased and set aside. Add 1/2 cup sugar with 3-4 tbsp water, just enough to wet the sugar into a non-stick saucepan and bring to cook. Continuously keep stirring it, till the whole sugar melts and slowly starts to caramelise. Keep stirring to avoid it from getting burned and cook on medium flame. Once the color changes, dump in the nuts, give a quick stir and quickly pour onto the greased aluminium foil and spread. Leave it to cool. Slowly peel off the foil, put the praline into a plastic bag and crush using a rolling pin. Use when required.

If you don't want to go through the hassle, which I did go through, just crush some peanut candy and spread over - simple! :)

** Updated on 09/09/2013 - many of you have asked about whipping powder, I am sorry I really thought that it was quite familiar!!! Then I realized, that this product is here because of the climate mainly. Whipping powder is a non-diary powder, which when added to cold milk and whipped, becomes whipping cream. The main reason is that diary whipped cream is difficult to manage in humid conditions out here. Normally, one pack of whipping powder gives 450 to 540 ml of whipped cream (depending on the brand used). You can just substitute it with a 250 ml pack of whipping cream, add icing sugar to taste and whip it till it becomes firm, before adding the cream and beating it till well combined. Hope now it's OK!!! :)

Linking this to Pramitha's 1st anniversary giveaway...



Labels: , ,