Paal Vazhakka - Plaintains in Coconut Milk

Some food wakes up a lot of memories. Some that were sleeping, that wouldn't have woken up if left undisturbed. The time Dhyuthi posted the recipe of Paal Vazhakka on her blog Melange some time ago, I kept staring at the picture. Did this remind me of something? I just couldn't remember, but there was something... I ran through the ingredients and decided to try it the same day. I came back from work, pulled out all the ingredients, and started preparing it. As the coconut milk was getting cooked with the sago, the smell that wafted across the kitchen started awakening my senses. What is it?? Something that I had forgotten, dug into the deep recesses of my memories... Went ahead to complete the preparation... As soon as I reached the last stage, my mind suddenly woke up. My vellimma!!!

I have already written about my vellima in my Semiyayum Nenthrapazhavum recipe I shared some time back, which was a regular for her. However, Paal Vazhakka was reserved only when she had sago in her hand. I had tasted it from her hands only very few times. No wonder, why it went on to rest in my memories, safe and sound. When I served it to my D, he sipped it silently, and I asked him, "does this remind you of someone?" He just smiled, the smile said it all... :) I went on to express my feelings to Dhyuthi and she went on to acknowledge it as well in her post that followed. I know how it feels when people come back to tell you what they felt after trying a recipe from the blog. :)

The first time I had made it, my HD couldn't get a taste of it. So I made it again, this time with the intention of posting it on the blog as well... I recommend to try it atleast one time. The ingredients are simple, but then the end result, and more than that, the aroma is mindblowing!!!

Paal Vazhakka - Plaintains in Coconut Milk
Serves 2
Recipe courtesy: Melange


Ingredients:

2 cups thin coconut milk
3 tbsp sago 
1 large plaintain, cut into pcs
1 cup thick coconut milk
A pinch of cardamom powder 
A pinch of salt
4 tbsp sugar
1 tsp ghee
5-6 cashews
5-6 raisins

Method:

Pour the thin coconut milk and bring to boil. Once boiling, reduce the flame and add the sago. Cook for around 10 minutes, then add the plantain and cook till the sago gets fully cooked and the plantain becomes soft. Add the cardamom, salt, sugar and the thick coconut mik and keep on simmer for 5 minuttes. Switch off.

Heat ghee in a small saucepan. Fry the cashews and raisins and dump it into the payasam. Serve warm or cold.

Linking this recipe to Merry Tummy Cook with White Event and the WTML Event happening at Priya's Virundhu...


Labels: , , , ,