Tandoori Chicken Buns

Coming back to the office after having spent almost three weeks at home is not easy. If I would have travelled, I wouldn't have felt much. But the time spent with the kids is making me really emotional. As I called home to check regarding the kids, I could hear Azza crying out loud. Yes, she is a cranky bit, who needs a lot maneuvering to be handled. And I was surprised that I could handle her much easier than my umma, who takes care of her on a daily basis yet finds it difficult! Is it because I am her mother? Can be... I have had 17 fabulous days in the company of my daughters, who wrestled for my attention! Azza managed to win each time from Rasha as she did not give any loopholes for Rasha to come back in, which made her boil with jealousy! But I guess, that's with all elder ones, and I used to just console her to be in peace with the truth of life! In short, those days are finish and now I am back to the routine of waking up early, being stuck in traffic, reaching office, finishing off work, going back home, breaking my head over dinner, rushing up the kids to sleep so that I could go back to the beginning of the circle again...

Off to the recipe for today, a simple treat that I tried while browsing through many many recipes. I just mixed and matched, and made this yummy chicken bun, which was so highly taken up by the crowd at home for their cup of tea! What's more, it uses wholewheat flour, olive oil and has no eggs!!! So you can give it a little label called "healthy". It only went on to reinforce my love for yeast again... :)

Tandoori Chicken Buns
Makes 8


Ingredients:

For the buns:
1 cup wholewheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp instant yeast
1/3 cup lukewarm water
5 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup water (approx.)
For the filling:
200 gm chicken breast, cut into bite sized pcs
2 tsp tandoori masala
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp yogurt
Salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
1 onion, sliced thinly
2 green chillies, chopped

Method:

Mix the yeast and milk and set aside. Add the flours into a large bowl. Make a hole in the middle and add in all the other ingredients except the water and the yeast mixture. Mix well with your hands till it represents crumbs. Slowly add water and start to bring the dough together. Knead till you have a sticky pliable dough. Set aside for one hour to double in size. 

Let's prepare the filling. Add the ingredients from chicken to salt in a pressure cooker. Cook for one whistle and allow the pressure to go by itself. In a fry pan, heat the oil and saute the onions till golden. Add the chopped green chillies and cook for a couple of minutes. Add in the chicken along with its stock and cook till the stock gets thickened and coated on the chicken. Set aside to cool. 

Spread parchment paper on your roaster pan. Set aside. 

Punch down the dough and divide into eight balls. Leave for around 10 minutes. Divide the masala into 8 portions. Take a ball, spread it out in your hand, fill the masala into the center and slowly close the dough. Seal all the side with your hands and shape it properly. I shaped it cylindrical!!! :) Place it on the roaster pan with the paper. Repeat till all buns are made. Brush generously with olive oil and keep covered. 

Preheat your oven to 170 degrees. Once done, push in the roaster pan and bake for 25 minutes till the top appears golden brown. Serve warm with ketchup!!! 


Notes:

I found the bun to be quite dense, likely because of the whole wheat flour and the olive oil. I am sure it would have tasted better if it was only all purpose flour. Nevertheless, none remained!!! 

Labels: , , , , ,