Be My Guest - Marmalade Upside Down Cake

Every couple of weeks, I am as excited as all of you are, while featuring my favorite bloggers in the Be My Guest section, which I must say is going way beyond the level I had expected it to go! I feel so blessed that this series has been taken up wholeheartedly by many of you out there and that is the main reason that despite being tied up in my schedule, I still work on this series without giving up, with a lot of zest and enthusiasm!!!

A guest post closer to Eid should be coming from somebody who celebrates the festival, right? After thinking for quite sometime, I zeroed on a favorite of mine, Ambreen who blogs at Simply Sweet n Savory. Yes, the same Ambreen who I've just last week been on her blog for a guest post! You may be thinking, how come? I must say that I was the one who got her guest post first and scheduled it for this day, but it was otherwise that I happened to feature on her blog before she featured on mine!!! Funny ways of life... :)

She is just like her blog name, sweet and savory, and very simple as well. I am a huge fan of Pakistani food, I guess I have told that a couple of times in my previous blog posts. Ambreen, being a Pakistani, features a lot of food that I have grown up eating at the Pakistani eatery near our house. Not to mention, the bakes and sweets that she comes up with me - it would have been perfect if she was my neighbor! But thank God, she isn't, otherwise, what would I do about my fluctuating weight??? Hehe... Jokes apart...

After a few emails up and down from her, she went ahead and sent me this little yet sweet guest post to be featured on this page. I love the flavor of oranges in cakes and this cake surely looks like a very big hit. Let's move onto Ambreen and see what she has to say...

Salam and greetings everyone! I'm Ambreen of Simply Sweet 'n Savory, a food blogger from Pakistan. Simply Sweet 'n Savory is a place where I share my favorite traditional sweet and savory recipes from Pakistan and from all over the world.

I’m thrilled to be here today, a big thanks to Rafeeda for the invite to guest post. I absolutely love her blog, beautifully written posts with delicious food. Her blog name "The Big Sweet Tooth " caught my attention right away because I have a really big sweet tooth. So when she contacted me to do a guest post for her on the occasion of Eid, I was really delighted.

I'm sharing here a simple yet delicious cake recipe topped with orange marmalade. This sweet and tangy cake is always a big hit at my house. I hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as we do :)
 


Marmalade Upside Down Cake
8 servings

Ingredients :

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup castor sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla essence
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp.  baking powder
Yellow food color, optional
4 tbsp. orange marmalade
Almond halves, optional

Method :

Preheat oven to 180 C / 350 F. Grease and line an 8 inch round pan with baking paper, grease the paper with softened butter / oil.
 
Spread ( 2 tbsp. ) marmalade on top to cover baking paper. Arrange almond halves over marmalade, press gently into marmalade. Keep aside.
 
In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add in eggs, one at a time; beating well after each addition.
 
Add remaining ( 2 tbsp. ) marmalade, vanilla essence and food color; beat well.
Sift in flour and baking powder, fold gently with a spatula ( or beat on a very low speed ) until just mixed.
The mixture should be of dropping consistency; if it is not, add 1 to 2 tbsp. of milk.
Carefully spoon the batter over the jam base in the prepared tin and gently level the surface with a spatula.
 
Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
Remove and cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then run a knife around side of pan to loosen cake.
 
Place a serving plate upside down onto pan, turn plate and pan over. Tap gently to release the cake.
 
Gently peel off the baking paper. Cut slices and serve warm or at room temperature.
 
Let the cake cool completely before storing it covered in the refrigerator.

Recipe adapted from a cooking show

Thank you once again Rafeeda for giving me this lovely opportunity. Wishing you and all your lovely readers a very happy " Eid-ul-Adha ". Have a meatful Eid!


OK, so now it's my turn to wish Ambreen an Eid Mubarak... thank you so much for being a sweetheart and giving me this cake, I am still drooling at the sight of it... Do stay tuned for the post coming up where I will share some of my Eid visheshams (titbits) as well...

Have a rocking weekend... :)

Labels: ,