Chocolate Almond Tart

Time for another challenge!!! For the Eggless Baking Challenge this month, Priya Srinivasan had suggested the Ferrero Rocher Tart and many of us did take it up very enthusiastically. For the last two months, I was not able to participate because of Ramadan and Eid, so I did not want to miss this month's challenge. However, when I saw the recipe, my heart sank. You must be thinking: "Duh? How come? It's such a yummilicious challenge!!!" Yes, it is and that was the problem. I am supposed to be controlling my food intake, thanks to a lot of snide remarks coming from all sides regarding my weight (hehe...) and to break off all my control, comes this really un-ignorable challenge. So what do I do? I just went ahead and baked it. Had a piece on my cheat day, half of it was eaten by my family and the remaining by my colleagues! I should say that I am at my generous best...

I should thank Jehanne again for being with me throughout the time when I was making this tart. Thank you so much darling for allowing me to eat your head... She was on FB guiding me on what to do and if my tart did come out good, I would surely say, it's because of her! I referred to her blogpost on how to make the perfect tart base, which had just about anything you needed to know! This is my first tart experience and I really enjoyed it. Just like Jehanne says, the first tart surely leads to many many more tarts in the future - and I am sure, it will!!!

Even though I didn't follow the challenge exactly, I went ahead with an eggless tart base and an eggless filling which was filled with the goodness of almonds throughout. The kids, my B and HD enjoyed it in every bite and my colleagues certified that it was fit for an almond chocolate lover!!! Thank you so much Priya for this delicious challenge, really enjoyed it...

Chocolate Almond Tart
Makes 26 cm tart pan


Ingredients:

For the tart:
200 gm all purpose flour, less 3 tbsp
3 tbsp cocoa powder
125 gm butter, softened
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
Ice cold water, as required
For filling:
250 gm thick cream
100 gm cooking chocolate
1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup blanched almonds
For garnish:
Blanched almonds and icing sugar

Method:

Let's start with making the tart base. Cube the soft butter into a mixing bowl. Add in the remaining dry ingredients and crumble with your fingers till it represents bread crumbs. Add little ice cold water, just enough to bring the dough together. Knead lightly till well mixed. Wrap in a cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Generously flour a 26 cm tart pan and set aside. Bring out the dough. On a parchment paper, using a rolling pin, roll the dough big enough to cover the tart pan, to around 1/2 inch thickness. Slowly pick up, flip into the tart pan and press gently onto the sides, pinching the excesses on the top. Prick on the tart using fork Place the same parchment paper on top with some beans spread on it and blind bake the tart for 15 minutes. Take out, remove the parchment paper along with the beans and bake again for 15 minutes. Now the tart base is done. Allow to cool.

Meanwhile, let's make the filling. Add the cream and chocolates in a saucepan and cook on low flame till the chocolates melt and incorporate into the cream. Finally add in the almonds and mix well. Allow to cool. 

Once cooled, pour in the chocolate filling into the tart. Sprinkle more almonds and icing sugar on the top. Chill for a couple of hours. Slice and serve!!!


Labels: , , , ,