Burma Chai/ Tea

After a while you learn the subtle difference
Between holding a hand and chaining a soul,
And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning
And company doesn't mean security,
And you begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts
And presents aren't promises.

And you begin to accept your defeats

With your head up and your eyes open,
With the grace of an adult,
Not the grief of a child.

And you learn to build all your roads on today,

Because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans.
After a while you learn that even sunshine
Burns if you get too much.

So you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul,

Instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.
And you learn that you really can endure...
That you really are strong.
And you really do have worth,

~ Veronica A. Shoffstall



I found this little poem so intriguing, so I though would share it with all of you. So profound, so deep...


With the climate getting colder by the day, the only thing I yearn for is something hot, anytime! At 7 am, while getting out to go to office, it looks dark with the sun playing hide and seek between the clouds. Only around 8, it starts getting a bit sunny. The sun rays in between the cold wind is a beautiful yet different feel altogether. The evenings are breezy, so once I am home, I just don't want to go out for my walks, means I am missing out on my only exercise moments! Hmm... Taking the weather into account, I thought why not I share a tea, which is so full of flavor, yet so milky... Perfect for the weather... I really don't know why it is called Burma chai. The colleague who introduced me to this does not have an answer as well. I searched on google for its authenticity, but surprisingly, got no help! Hmm... but I like the name, so let's keep it like that! I have already posted my version of making tea or chai sometime back, this is a variation that I really loved and enjoyed... but one word of warning: please do not have this everyday - loads of calories guaranteed!!! Hehe...


Burma Chai/ Tea
Serves 1


Ingredients:

1 cup milk
1 tbsp tea 
1 tsp sugar

Method:

Pour the milk into a thick bottomed saucepan and bring to boil. Once the milk starts bubbling on the sides, reduce flame to meduim-low and add the tea powder. Continue to "cook" the tea till your required strength and thickness is achieved. Keep stirring in between to ensure that the milk does not get stuck to the pan. Switch off, add the sugar. Pour 2-3 times back and forth in a mug, to ensure mixing of flavors well. 

Pour into your favorite mug or glass and enjoy!!!

Notes:

1. Use full-fat milk, low fat or skimmed tastes terrible for this tea! And do not add water - all gone!
2. Use good quality tea powder - I always prefer Red Label or Eastea, for its smell and thickness.
3. Since the milk gets boiled till the tea becomes strong, add more milk, if you want more tea - one mug of milk would give you around half a mug of tea. 
4. You may flavor the tea with cardamom or cloves or ginger - your choice... but the tea tastes good as is, without any additionals!


Labels: , ,