Neychoru/ Ghee Rice - Pressure Cooker Method

“Sorrow prepares you for joy. It violently sweeps everything out of your house, so that new joy can find space to enter. It shakes the yellow leaves from the bough of your heart, so that fresh, green leaves can grow in their place. It pulls up the rotten roots, so that new roots hidden beneath have room to grow. Whatever sorrow shakes from your heart, far better things will take their place.” 
--Rumi

I leave the introduction for today as is... A quote that gives me a lot of hope, InShaAllah... :)

Off to today's recipe, I have already posted previously the normal way of making neychoru/ ghee rice. Now with the advent of pressure cooker and the increased use of it, everything including biriyani is being made in it. I have to admit that I am one big user of pressure cookers. Once I am home, most of the time, both my flames will be loaded with two different cookers whistling to glory. That is how much I use them and I love them - saves a lot of time and effort, doesn't it? So when my umma started making neychoru in pressure cooker, I had to learn it from her. When you have unexpected guests coming in, this rice can be made in no time. Let's see how it is done...

Neychoru/ Ghee Rice - Pressure Cooker Method
Serves 3-4



Ingredients:

2 cups Basmati rice, washed and drained
2 tbsp ghee (increase more if you like!)
3 cloves
1 small pc cinnamon
1 bay leaf
2 cardamoms
3-4 peppercorns
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp ginger paste
4 cups hot water
Salt to taste

Method:

Heat ghee in a large pressure cooker. Saute the whole masalas till a nice aroma comes. Add the onions and saute till soft. Then ad the ginger paste and saute till the raw smell is gone. Now pour the water in and allow to boil. Then add the drained rice and adjust salt. Close the lid and cook on high flame for one whistle. Immediately switch off and allow pressure to go on its own. Open the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Instant ghee rice is ready!!!

Labels: , , , , ,