Be My Guest - Creamy Cauliflower Broccoli Gratin

Last year, my series "Be My Guest" featured 27 guest posts, which I thought was quite a number considering that my blog isn't even a year old!!! I was in two minds about continuing the series this year, but then looking at the positive response I get from my fellow bloggers and the vibes I receive is pushing me to go ahead with this series as much as I am able to go with it! All I have is a big heart full of gratitude to all those beautiful ladies out there who have been really good to me and have given such lovely posts to grace my space... :)

Today, I have with me an extra-talented lady, who will drive you nuts with her bakes. I am talking about none other than Sharanya, or Shey, as everybody likes to call, who blogs at "Just Not the Cakes". Her blog name speaks loud about her love for sweet stuff and seriously, that is one thing why I am hooked onto it for sure! Her cakes and puddings make me drool endlessly and I was so excited when she sent me an email for plugging in a guest post. I was more than happy to take it up from her. Being very truthful to her name that she makes just not cakes, she gave me a dish, which is so new to me. I have heard of Gratin before, however have never had the opportunity to try it, lest my family may just reject it straight away. This is one thing I like about my guest posts - I get recipes for ingredients that I have never featured before on my blog! So there you go, she features in here as the first guest for 2014.

Without much more talking from my side, I will go on to see what Shey has to say...


First of all, thank you so much Rafeeda for giving me this opportunity to write a guest post in your blog. You are one of the bloggers whom i admire the most .I used to wonder how on earth you get time to post recipes every day. This shows how organized and dedicated you are .Posting recipes twice a week make me think i have done so much of work. Really appreciate your dedication in blogging. I particularly love the way you explain the recipes. They are so simple to understand. Last but not the least , the most important thing I wanted to tell you is know i love your Blog Name -" The big Sweet Tooth " . 


So let me introduce myself, I'm Shey / Sharanya from  JustNotTheCakes . A food blogger from Sri Lanka and currently live in Georgia, USA. I am a newbie to food blogging, where my blog is not yet a year old. JustNotTheCakes is where I share all my Tested and Tried recipes. Most of my recipes are Baked or either pan fried because I don't prefer anything deep fried. So when I promised Rafee that I’ll do a guest post, I was pretty sure that it was going to be something baked.

So today I am sharing one of my personal favorite, simple yet delicious Creamy Cauliflower and Broccoli Gratin. Gratin is a French Cuisine which is prepared in a shallow dish. It is baked and then broiled to form a golden crust on top. So let’s see the recipe

Ingredients:

Broccoli - 1 1/2 Cup
Cauliflower - I 1/2 Cup
Salt 
Cheddar Cheese -  1 1/4  cup

For the white sauce:

All Purpose Flour - 1/ 3 Cup
Water - 1/2 Cup
Milk - 1 Cup
Butter - 3 TBLS
Salt
Pepper
Dried Parsley or any Italian Herbs of your choice.

Instructions:

·         Pre heat the oven at 350 F.
·         In a Microwave bowl, add Broccoli, Cauliflower, Water and salt.
·         Cook it for 10 minutes or till they are 3/4th cooked.
·         Drain the water. Allow it to cool.

To make the White Sauce:

·         In a saucepan melt the butter over medium heat.
·         Add the flour, pepper, herbs and salt and keep mixing it for couple of minutes.
·         Add water and milk and keep stirring till the mixture gets thicker.
·         Make sure there are no lumps forming.
·         Stir in 1/2 Cup cheese and stir till the cheese melts.
·         Turn off the heat.

How to arrange the gratin:

·         In a casserole dish / baking dish layer Cauliflower and broccoli.
·         Pour the white sauce over the Cauliflower and broccoli. Make sure they are coated well with white sauce..
·         Sprinkle rest of the cheese on top.
·         Bake it for 20 - 30 minutes or till the top turns golden brown.


Notes: 

·         Instead of broccoli and Cauliflower you could even make gratin with potatoes, butternut squash and other veggies.
·         I make white sauce this way, if you have any other way of making, follow that.
·         If you find lumps in white sauce, don’t panic, allow it to cool put it in the mixer and blend it.
·         If the white sauce is too thick add some water/milk.
·         If it is too watery, cook it for some more time till it gets thicker.
Thank you once again Rafeeda for having me on your space. Hope you liked the post.


Yes, of course!!! What a question to ask, dear... :) Thank you so much for coming by and gracing my little space with your presence... Hope you all enjoyed the lovely guest post here today... Have a lovely day ahead...

Labels: ,