Curried Carrot Soup

Even though I love soups and salads, there are hardly any recipes featured on this blog of mine. It is mainly because I don't have a family who are really soup and salad friendly. I guess that's with many Indian households, where salads and soups are never a part of our eating culture. Whenever we dine out, I make it a point to have soup first along with the salads, but at home, laziness drags me to not make it all for myself.

I had quite a bit of carrots in the fridge and I was plain lazy one night - what a combination! I gave a call to HD, "Hmm... I am feeling lazy to cook dinner. Would some carrot soup do?" There was a long silence on the other side of the phone, before I got an affirmative reply. So excitedly, I kept browsing on my phone and zeroed down on this delicious soup which hardly takes any time to make and is perfect for the cold and lazy nights... :)

Curried Carrot Soup
Serves 3
Recipe adapted from here


Ingredients:

2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 tsp olive oil
4 shallots chopped
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp paprika powder
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
600 ml water
2 stock cubes
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves to garnish

Method:

Heat the olive oil in a pressure cooker. Add the chopped shallots and saute till soft. Add in the curry powder and paprika powder and saute till the color becomes slightly dark. Now add all the other ingredients, close the lid and cook for three whistles on medium flame. Switch off and allow the pressure to go by itself. 

Open the lid and blend the carrot pieces using a hand blender till smooth. Adjust salt if required. Pour into bowls, garnish with coriander leaves and serve it warm!!!

Updated on 05/06/2014... linking it to SJ's and Sonal's Soups with SS event...

logo

Labels: ,