Kozhi Ada ~ Chicken Patties

I guess my head is out of ideas as to how to start my posts. Quite laxed at the moment!!! So I will share with you a slide, that has really touched me, when I was browsing through my FB news feed. One matter in life that will make you feel relaxed, whatever adversities may be in your way, is the feeling that the Almighty's love is with you... This slide phrases it so beautifully, I don't think I have to give it any more dimensions of my own...


Posting today something that makes me miss my umma terribly... This was one thing she used to so often make for dinner when we were in school. The other day I was commenting to her as to how she had stopped cooking certain food all of a sudden, without any reason. And she just smiled! Aren't there certain food that we used to hate when we were kids, because we thought our mothers don't know how to make more variety? And now we crave for them. Yes... I am very much in that situation! Hehe... So I thought, why not share this recipe that I had made one dinner when I missed her. I have already indicated before in my posts that my umma was a person of limited culinary skills, but whatever she knows to make, is just beyond words, and definitely, this is also one of her specialties... not to speak about the awesome chicken cutlets that she makes...

Kozhi Ada - Chicken Patties
Serves 2-3


Ingredients:

For chicken filling:
250 gm boneless chicken cubes
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
5-6 curry leaves
2 onions, sliced
1 green chilli, chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
Salt to taste

For covering:
2 cups wholewheat flour (aatta)
1 tsp salt
Water as required
1 tbsp oil

Oil for deep frying

Method:

Combine the chicken cubes, turmeric, chilli and garam masala powders, along with salt in a pressure cooker and cook for three whistles. Switch off and allow the pressure to go by itself. Open the lid and cook on high till the stock coats the chicken. Allow to cool. Shred using a blender. Set aside.

In a fry pan, heat the oil, splutter mustard seeds. Saute the curry leaves for a couple of minutes. Add the onion and cook till soft. Add the chilli and cook for a few minutes. Add in the turmeric powder and cumin powder and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the pulsed chicken and mix well. Cook on low flame for around five minutes. Adjust the salt and switch off the flame. Allow to cool.

In a deep bowl, add the wholewheat flour and salt. Add sufficient water to mix into a soft pliable dough. Knead well for around 10 minutes. Finally coat with the oil and knead for another minute. Leave the dough to rest for a minimum of 15 minutes.

Take one lime sized ball and roll into a medium sized disc. The disc should neither be too thick nor too thin. Place a teaspoon of the chicken filling on one side, fold the other side to close the disk. Seal the edges by slightly rolling it tightly. Keep on a well oiled surface. Repeat till the dough and the chicken mixture is exhausted.

Heat oil in a deep kadai enough to sink the patties. Once oil is really hot, reduce flame to medium and fry each patty till both the sides are golden brown in color. Drain on kitchen towels.

Serve as is, or with tomato ketchup, chilli sauce, etc. - the choice is yours!

Notes:

1. The filling is how I make it. You can make your normal chicken filling. You can also use mutton or beef for making the filling.
2. All purpose flour is normally used for the patty. However, at home, me and umma use aatta to make it healthier. You can use a mix of two as well.

Labels: , , , ,