Potato Stir Fry/ Urulakizhangu Upperi

I am in two moods today. The first is good - the excitement of having met a dear blogger friend, who was enroute Dubai on her trip to India. After a lot of calls up and down, finally I met Usha and wasn't I really happy! Unfortunately, I couldn't spend much time with her, however we did catch up over a cup of coffee and I realized that she is the same innocent lady with whom I interact over blogging and otherwise. She happens to be the second blogger friend I have met, the first one being Family Cook. Hope to meet many more bloggers, especially the local ones, very soon... It feels nice to see people who you interact with virtually in flesh and skin... :)

On the other note, my parents are off to a small trip to India for two weeks. This is not the first time they are going, but the next time they will leave, they will leave for good. I have been fortunate enough to have them with me all these years, giving me some very good support as far as the kids are concerned. For them, it is a well deserved rest from the hectic life over here, and for me, it is going to be a case of getting adjusted to not having them physically with me, soon. Life is not what we want all the time, right... I only have prayers for their wellness to Allah, just like all of us who value our parents. Whatever little misunderstandings you may have, at the end of it all, they are who made you and their value is non-match able, irreplaceable...

The continuation post from yesterday's Thayir Saadam/ Yogurt Rice, this was what I had served with it and what an awesome combination it is! I don't have a family that is potato friendly, which is sad! I love potatoes like mad but then when others don't eat, how would I make it all alone for me? Hmm... This is one upperi I would eat any time when it is given to me... just love the flavors and I don't have to say how it tasted in combination with the thayir saadam... droolicious!!! Hehe... Off to the way I make it...

Potato Stir Fry/ Urulakizhangu Upperi
Serves 3


Ingredients:

2 large potatoes
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp urad dal
2 strands curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
A pinch asafoetida
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp pepper powder
Salt to taste

Method:

Cook the potatoes in a pressure cooker in lots of water for three whistles. Switch off, allow the pressure to go by itself. Open the cooker, drain the potatoes. Peel and slice in to medium sized pieces. Set aside. 

In a kadai, heat the oil. Splutter mustard and cumin seeds. Add the urad dal and fry for a minute. Add the curry leaves and fry for another minute. Now add the masala powders and stir well. Add the potatoes and give it a good mix. Leave it on a low flame for about 5-6 minutes. Add the salt and mix well again. 

Serve warm as side dish with rice and curry!

Labels: , , ,