Sweet & Sour Sesame Chicken

I guess the weather is taking a toll. A couple of days of rain, a house full of flu, and now I am pushing myself around like a zombie - heavy head, even heavier eyes, blocked nose, cracking ears, what not... As much as I love the winters for the coldness it brings, I hate it when it brings along with it the flu, that can just make you feel so off-sync. That is what I am exactly in a state now. So no introduction for today... straight to the recipe... :)

Sometimes, you are not able to resist a recipe long enough to leave it as a bookmark. This was one among that. The time I saw the post, I was having dreams about this dark colored chicken pieces, with sesame bites that I had to just make it. In our home, for dinner we make just one curry, irrespective of whether it's veg or non-veg. I know of many people who would have a non-veg or a veg side dish on days that they make dal or something similar, but in my house, my umma would cook only the dal and we would quietly eat it without any complaints. I guess I have got that habit in me as well, even I refrain from making sides unless and until I really want to eat! Hehe... so one such day, when I made dal, I made this starter and it was absolutely yum. I would suggest make it yourself to know it... :)

Sweet & Sour Sesame Chicken
Serves 3-4 
Recipe adapted from here


Ingredients:

350 gm boneless chicken, cut into long pieces
1/2 cup corn flour
1 large egg
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil to fry
1 tsp sesame seeds
For the sauce:
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tbsp soya sauce
1/2 tsp garlic paste
1/4 tsp red chilli flakes

Method:

Wash and clean the chicken. Pat with a kitchen towel until dry. In a bowl, add the pieces, sprinkle in the salt and pepper and mix well. Add the corn flour and mix well to coat all over the chicken. Break the egg on top and mix well again. Shallow fry the chicken pieces in a frying pan till just cooked - you don't need to cook it completely, it just needs to be golden. Drain onto kitchen towel.

Preheat the oven to 160 degrees. Line the chicken on a baking tray. Mix all the ingredients under "for the sauce" in a bowl till the sugar is dissolved. Pour this sauce over the chicken. If you want, you can keep aside a little for using as a dip, but I didn't. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to ensure that the sauce coats on the chicken. 

Take out the chicken after 40 minutes, sprinkle the sesame seeds on top. Increase the temperature of the oven to 190 degrees and bake for a final 10 minutes. 

Serve warm and enjoy as is!!! Just too good to munch on...

Notes:

1. While frying the chicken, you can do it till the outer coating becomes pale or slightly pinkish.
2. You can use upto 1/2 cup of sugar for the sauce, but I didn't because I was worried about how my folks would take it. However, I would say that 1/4 cup sugar used gave enough punch for the chicken.
3. Stirring in between is really important, so that the chicken doesn't get stuck and the sauce coats well. 

Labels: , , ,