Malabar Thenga Choru ~ Malabar Coconut Rice


Some foods that remind me of umma and yes, her umma, whom I so fondly called mattamma.... today I am going to feature one of it here. I made umma make it for me and took the picture of it to share with all of you. Back home, on Fridays, my mattamma would make this with delicious beef curry and how good it would taste with that fresh coconut and all! Even now, when we go there to see her, she loves to make and serve this. Towards our side, biriyanis are not very famous, or are rarely made, you can say, mostly on occasions of weddings, but never at home. I am not sure whether this type of thenga choru is served anywhere else in Kerala, because I have seen it only prepared towards our side. The rice tastes really good with a spicy non-veg dish or with just a simple dal curry. Though not very well received by the men in the house, still umma makes this when she is bored of the biriyanis and the neychoru. Off to how we make this one-pot meal...

Malabar Thenga Choru ~ Malabar Style Coconut Rice
Serves 4


Ingredients:

2 cups Palakkadan Matta rice (brown rice - can use US parboiled also) - washed
1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
1 cup grated coconut
8 shallots, coarsely chopped
2 green chillies, chopped
2 sprigs curry leaves
4 cup water
Salt to taste

Method:

Add all the ingredients into a pressure cooker and mix well. Pressure cook on meduim flame for one whistle and then leave it on low flame for 10 minutes. Switch off and allow the pressure to go by itself.

Serve warm with any non-veg curry - the best combination that we serve with back home is the Naadan Beef Curry.

The first rice recipe that I had posted on my blog, Koonthal choru or squid rice, is a variation of this rice, to make it more like a meal in itself! :)

Labels: , , , , ,