Peanut Butter Cookies

There are times when we wish that Allah would give us answers to the umpteen number of questions that we have in our mind. "Why is it like this when it could have been like that?", "Why me every time?"... When depression seeps in, it is common for such questions to come up in our mind. What we don't tend to understand is that - at the same time, many others are being tested in much harsher ways, some asking the same question in their mind while many others enduring it all with patience - a quality which is so beautifully denoted in the Qur'an as "Sabr".

I am not somebody, who can boast of high patience levels. In fact, my patience is something I am very ashamed of. Each time I wish I could really improve my levels. But Alhamdulillah, nowadays through diversifying my energies, I seem to be getting a little bit here and there. No way close to where I would love to be, but yes, I guess by a lot of pushing, I may be able to get somewhere close, InShaAllah... There is a very tiny chapter in the Qur'an called "Al Asr" (The Time) - just three verses, but really heavy in content...

1. By (the Token of) Time (through the ages), 
 2. Verily Man is in loss, 
3. Except such as have Faith, and do righteous deeds,
and (join together) in the mutual teaching of Truth,
and of Patience and Constancy. 

Each time I hear this chapter, I keep reminding myself where I need to focus on in making myself a better me, InShaAllah... :)

About the recipe for today, I have nothing much to say. I made these not being sure whether my kids would accept it, as they detest peanuts like anything. They would happily munch on almonds and cashews but not peanuts, they feel it is like eating mud! As I baked these cookies, layered them on a tray and put them in the oven to enjoy the totally awesome smell coming, I was visited by both of them at least 3 times in that gap of 20 minutes.
"Ummi, smelling really nice, what are you making?"
"Biscuits, dears..."
"What biscuits?"
"Peanut butter..."
"Whaat?" *A distressed look*
Despite me telling them, they still had to come and peep in to see if it was ready. As soon as I kept the cookies on the cooling rack, I could see from the side of my eye, one little hand sneaking to take one warm cookie for her and "ithaatha" to try. In no time, half the cookies vanished! Should I say anything else? :)

Peanut Butter Cookies
Makes 12
Recipe adapted from here


Ingredients:

3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
50 gm butter, softened
1 small egg
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

Method:

Preheat the oven to 170 degrees. Lay parchment paper on a baking tray and set aside.

Beat peanut butter, sugar and butter till soft. Beat in the egg. Slowly add in the dry ingredients and beat till it forms a dough. Pinch out twelve equal balls, flatten slightly to around 1/2 inch thickness and place on the baking tray with enough space from each other. Draw patterns on top using a fork.

Bake for 20 minutes till done. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Store in an air tight container - if it stays for the next day, that is!

Labels: ,