Pepper Mutton Curry

I guess today I leave you with a quote, that really touched me.

There are some feelings in life which creates very far fetched impacts. One of which is kindness. Once we learn to treat people with a lot of sensitiveness and empathy, we can find them reciprocating with positive gestures. We definitely remember people who have always given us positive chimes, because of the way they make us feel. I guess I will leave it at that rather than spoil your thoughts regarding this lovely quote... :)

There are some pairing in food that can never go wrong in any way, however you cook. One of it is mutton and pepper. Try cooking mutton only with pepper and salt, you can keep eating it till the whole bowl is done. I love the combination of pepper with mutton, the flavors just get married so very well. That is why whenever I want to make mutton, I prefer to make it with loads of pepper in it. Just the way my umma loves to make it at times as well, though she does not put in a generous dose of pepper. In our house, from small, we are trained not to have much of spice in our food. That explains why I am always with a few tissues in hand when I try food from outside home! When I cook, I try to add more spice in the form of green chillies or pepper, but definitely not chilli powder, as it is not considered to be good for health if consumed in high amounts. Hmm... too much of lecturing, I guess I will just move on to this yummy curry, just the way I like it... :)

Pepper Mutton Curry
Serves 4


Ingredients:

500 gm mutton with bones
1 tbsp coconut oil
A sprig curry leaves
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 green chillis slit
1 tbsp ginger paste
1 tbsp garlic paste
1 large tomato chopped
1 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1 tbsp crushed black pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
Curry leaves for garnish

Method:

Wash the mutton and drain well. 

Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Splutter the curry leaves. Add the onions along with the chillies and saute till it becomes soft. Add the ginger and garlic paste and cook till the raw smell is gone. Add in the tomato and saute till soft. Add in all the masala powders and saute till it turns a darkish shade. Ensure not to burn!

Add in the mutton with barely half a cup of water. Adjust the salt. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook for around three whistles on medium flame. Switch off and allow the pressure to go by itself.

Open the lid, adjust salt. Add in more pepper powder if you need more spiciness. Serve garnished with curry leaves!

What I served along with this delicious pepper mutton curry will be my next post. Stay tuned! :)

Labels: , , ,