Be My Guest - Easy Chicken Curry

Even despite moving the "Be My Guest" series from being a weekly to bimonthly to "once-in-three-weeks" event, I am so glad to say that I absolutely love the response that I receive for this series. It is so well evident with the number of guest posts that have already featured on my humble blog in this very short span of time. It feels really nice to get such positive feedback and I am overwhelmed by all the love... seriously... :)

After a non-blogger last time, I come back to a blogger for this Saturday. A very humble Tamilian lady, who resides in my neighboring Saudi Arabia... she keeps messaging me once in a while checking up my status and taking my opinion for some matters when she needs help. Thank you so much Laxmi for considering me as somebody worth! It feels nice when a totally strange person asks you for opinions and even takes it practically while taking decisions. Laxmi blogs at Samayal Diary, which is a lovely blog of majorly vegetarian dishes, with handful of non-vegetarian dishes as well. Of late, she has been baking more often and I definitely loved the banana bread that she had baked, looks absolutely moist! Her pictures are very simple and neat with no overpowering of any props. I've also noticed that she uses the wooden background and white crockery so effectively!!! :)

I guess I stop talking now and move on to see what my friend has bought along - a yummy chicken curry in her amma's style... not to mention, with the flavor of shallots... oh wow!!!


I am Laxmi. I blog at samayaldiary.com where I mostly post vegetarian recipes and few chicken & shrimps recipes that I prepare for my Hus. Samayal refers to cooking in Tamil. 

I really like the concept of guest posts that is happening in blogosphere. Particularly I don't fail to read the guest post series happening at Rafeeda's place. When I read those posts, I feel like the blogger has prepared it especially for her as if she has come home. Hope all blogger friends would know her.  I really admire her; she is a working mom with two cute lovely kids. Inspite of her busy life, she manages her blog too.. She has loads of chicken recipes; I've bookmarked a few; but yet to try. I like her inspirational quotes that she shares both in FB and in her posts. I know that she has a sweet tooth but I rarely makes sweets. So no sweet from me ; atleast not for now.. :-)

When she invited me to write a guest post, I accepted immediately. When I was thinking what to prepare, I thought of this amma's simple chicken curry recipe. My Mom is a non vegetarian. But since we didn't show much interests in non veg food since child hood, she stopped cooking it except when guests arrive. She needs to prepare a platter of non veg and veg recipes with sambar, avial and other stuff  so as to satisfy both the guests and us. So she make this curry simple yet tasty and makes the side dish hot and spicy. Side dish would be mostly hot chicken fry or boiled egg fry. She uses only pearl onions and less of garam masala but heard guests say it is the tastiest curry that they have ever had and vanishes soon during lunch itself. 

Hope you like this Rafeeda. 

Ingredients:

Chicken 250g
Home made Sambar Powder 3 tblsp heaped
Tomatoes Medium 3
Chopped Ginger and Garlic 2 tsp each heaped
Pearl Onions handful
Curry leaves few
Salt
Water

To temper:

Aniseeds few
Cumin seeds few
Cloves 2
Bay leaves 1-2
Cinnamon sticks 1-2
Cardamom 2

To fry and grind:

Pepper corns 1 tsp
Grated coconut 2-3 tblsp

Preparation:

Wash chicken. Cut into pieces. Mix the chicken pieces with sambar powder and salt. Keep it aside for at least 15 minutes. 

Chop Pearl Onions and tomatoes. (If pearl onions are very small, she adds as it is; need not chop.)

Grind tomatoes (2) along with garlic and ginger to a smooth paste.

Heat oil in a pan, Add all the ingredients for tempering one by one.. Once they turn slightly brown, add the onions and curry leaves. Fry till the onions turn translucent. 

Now add the tomato paste. Mix well and allow boiling. Mean while, crush another tomato and add it along with its skin. Fry till the oil separates.

Now add the chicken pieces already mixed with sambar powder. Mix well, fry for a while and then add water & salt.

Meanwhile, fry coconut along with pepper corns. Cool and grind it to paste along with little water. 

When the curry is almost done, add the coconut paste. Allow boiling until the coconut paste gets combined well with the curry and the chicken gets cooked completely.

Serves: 2
Serve with hot steamed rice.

I would like to thank you Rafeeda for sharing my recipe on your lovely space. Hope you and all the readers like the recipe.


Amma's recipes are always the best. I know Laxmi, I know... just last month I had posted my umma's chicken curry as well... Thank you for sharing this lovely chicken curry on my space, would definitely try this out during one of my dinner escapades...

Have a great weekend ahead, friends...

Labels: ,