Erachi Choru/ Meat Rice

A beautiful quote that I wish to share, which does not need any elaboration from my side... because that one sentence in there is worth thousands of words... :)


Always on the look out for making some easy Friday lunches, this one is a must try... This looks like a Malabar version of the pulao served in North India, but definitely with Malabar spices... I adapted this recipe from the list of recipes that my cousin's wife had published in Vanitha magazine during the last Ramadan/ Eid issue. He is a distant cousin of mine, whom I see only when I go on vacations and particularly at weddings, as he is one of the best wedding photographer in our town and his wife is somebody I rarely see but interact a lot on FB - thank God for FB for bringing along family whom you never know existed!!! Hehe... When I came to know that her recipes were published, I bought the issue and saved the recipes for my reference. I never knew she was a good cook! InShaAllah, if I get a chance, I would make sure to call and let them know before we land up there, when I go on my next vacation! ;) I know life is so strange... you get to know your own relatives through technology more than by personal contact, thanks to the increasing distances and clashes in each other's schedule... :)

Erachi Choru - Meat Rice
Serves 4


Ingredients:

For meat masala:
700 gm mutton, cubed with bones
2 large onions, sliced
1-1/2 tsp ginger paste
1-1/2 tsp garlic paste
2 green chillies, chopped
3 cloves
3 cardamom
1 small pc cinnamon
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
Juice of 1 small lemon

For rice:
2 tbsp ghee
3 cloves
2 cardamom
1 small pc cinnamon
1 small onion, sliced into long pcs
2.5 cups basmati rice
2.5 cups boiled hot water
Coriander and mint leaves for garnishing

Method:

Combine all ingredients for the meat masala in a pressure cooker and cook till mutton is almost done. Set aside.

Wash and drain the rice. Heat a large saucepan, put ghee in. Add the whole masalas and fry for a minute, then add the onion and cook till it becomes soft. Add the drained rice and fry for around 5-7 minutes till crisp. Add the water, increase the flame till water boils. Then reduce the flame and cook rice till water is drained.

Now add in the mutton masala with all stock, close lid tight and cook on low flame till rice done.

Serve garnished with coriander and mint leaves, and yes with some pickle... which in this case, I served it with dates pickle, made it an awesome combination! :)

Labels: , , , , ,