Mushroom Mattar Masala ~ Mushroom Peas Curry

This is all I am doing nowadays - pushing myself and telling myself that I can overcome all the challenges that are coming in front of me... chanting to myself that there is that Some1 up there who is going to take care of me if I break... confirming to myself that I am not going to be alone in this wild race of life... Sometimes, when I think how life is going to be during this month, with some big changes coming up in my schedule, I get really nervous. But then... I guess as you grow older, you are supposed to get wiser, so that means everything needs to be dealt with a level head and with as much little anxiety as possible. Fingers crossed to see how things are going to shape out, InShaAllah... :)

A vegetarian treat again for today... I love mushrooms though nobody else supports me for this vegetable. But then they have no other option to eat it when I cook it... hehe... My B would be more than happy to go get himself a takeaway when I cook anything that he doesn't like, but then fearing the gnawing of his ears that he has to put up with, he normally avoids it. My poor HD has no other way out than to eat what is kept on the table when he comes home late. However, he is thankfully somebody who eats everything and has no qualms about trying new food. So slowly, I am trying to bring at home stuff that my umma used to never cook, and one is of course mushrooms. A nice cashew based gravy, that goes so well with some chapathis or white rice... one of my favorite vegetarian dishes to say the least... :)

Mushroom Mattar Masala - Mushroom Peas Curry
Serves 4


Ingredients:

1 tbsp oil
1 small pc cinnamon
2 cardamom
2 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1 small tomato, chopped
1 sachet (70 gm) tomato paste
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
15 cashews, soaked and then ground into paste
250 gm mushroom, quartered
1 cup frozen peas
Coriander leaves for garnishing
Salt to taste

Method:

In a saucepan, heat oil. Fry the cinnamon and cardamom till an aroma comes. Add the onions and saute with a pinch of salt till soft. Add the ginger and garlic paste and cook  till raw smell is gone. Now add in the tomato and tomato paste and cook on low flame and closed lid, till the tomatoes are mashed and the raw smell of the paste is gone.

Add in the coriander powder, chilli and turmeric powder and saute for a couple of minutes. Add the cashew paste and give it a stir. Now add the cut mushrooms and the frozen peas. Add 1/2 cup of water if required. Bring to boil and then reduce the flame. Cook on closed lid till the mushrooms are cooked. Adjust salt and seasoning.

Serve warm garnished with coriander leaves, with rice or rotis!!!

Labels: , ,