Tamarind Rasam - My 22nd guest post for Monu's Passion

Monu is one of the sweetest bloggers I have come to know of late. One thing I love about her is that she never hesitates to leave her long lovely comments on each and every post that she reads of mine, filled in with plenty of smilies… which is enough to pep up anybody’s bad day for sure! I find her to be really zesty and outgoing, always ready to bring a smile on the face of the person she is interacting with. I literally feel Monu’s blog shows her feisty nature and the way she writes is really youthful. Being a big fan of Pakistani food – by the way, this happens to be my third guest post for my neighbors, which is such an honour! - I have already bookmarked the Qubooli and Khoya Gajrella, which I am sure will be among one of the meals that I will cook sooner than later! I wish Mona many many years of happy blogging, with loads of yummy posts…

Deciding on what to give Monu was a task. Most of my guest posts happen to be desserts but this time, I wanted to be slightly different. Something more related to my state, my food and my family. Browsing through my drafts, I finalized on a simple gravy dish which is one of my favorites of my umma’s cooking. My umma learned this rasam from one of her friends quite some time back and since then, she has been making it this way. Whenever she makes this, I am the last one to have rice, so that once my meal is done, I take the honour of cleaning up the bowl of the remaining rasam, that much I love this gravy!


To see the recipe and do read more of the post, do drop by Monu's space here. Hope you enjoy the post! :)



TAMARIND RASAM RECIPE
Recipe Courtesy: My umma
Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 2 dry chillies
  • 5-6 curry leaves
  • 5 shallots, chopped
  • 1 inch pc ginger, peeled
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 1 tomato, minced
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 2 large pieces of tamarind, soaked in 1 cup hot water
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tbsp black pepper powder (add more if you want!)
  • Salt to taste
Method:
  • Heat coconut oil in a chatti. Splutter the mustard seeds. Fry the dry chilies and curry leaves for a minute. 
  • Pound the shallots, ginger and garlic in a mortar and pestle till nicely crushed. Add it the oil and fry for a couple of minutes or till the raw smell goes. Add in the onion and tomato and cook till the tomato is completely mashed up and the masala looks cooked. Add the cumin and turmeric and fry for a minute. 
  • Nicely mash the tamarind into the water for the pulp till completely done. Discard the tamarind and pour the pulpy water and the additional water into the pan. Bring to boil 
  • and cook on low flame for around 10 minutes. Sprinkle in the pepper powder, adjust the salt. 
  • Serve hot as is, or with a bowl of rice. Such a meal of comfort!!!

Labels: , , , ,