Varutharacha Urulakizhangu Curry ~ Potato Curry with Roasted Coconut Masala

A mother would always say that being one is an awesome experience - irrespective of how mad the kids make you! There are times when I would pray that my kids would just go off to sleep but then when they decide to do, I feel as though both my hands are cut. There are times when they have gone out with my parents when I am in the office and I keep going here and there to avoid going back to an empty, spooky house. This always sets me thinking that we didn't have children in the first three years of marriage - what all did we miss? I guess every parent goes through this same thought process... Sharing with you a beautiful prayer...


Today, I am sharing with you an afternoon curry that was suggested to be my colleague, V. At office, our chats are mostly centered on food. I am happy to have colleagues who love to cook and eat, so it is always a pleasure to talk to them. During one of our casual talks, he hinted to me about this potato curry that makes rice flow into tummies without much effort. The way he described it, I just couldn't resist. I reserved the idea for a Saturday, which is the day I am free to experiment with afternoon curries - the rest of the time it is an easy pressure cooker sambaar or yogurt curry! As soon as I set to roast the coconut, I just couldn't be but enticed by the smell of it. The final curry was just so good, that just like he said, it didn't take much time for the rice to finish off!!! The star of this curry is the cloves - it imparts a really lovely flavor to the curry. I don't know if it would taste as good as it tasted with potatoes, but I am sure it should taste fantastic with raw bananas or yam!

Varutharacha Urulakizhangu Curry - Potato Curry with Roasted Coconut Masala
Serves 4


Ingredients:

3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric
Sufficient water
Salt to taste

For masala:
1 cup grated coconut
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp fennel powder
6 cloves

For tempering:
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
3 dry red chillies
2 sprigs curry leaves

Method:

In a pressure cooker, add the potatoes, turmeric and water just enough to cover the potatoes. Cook for 2 whistles and switch off.

Dry roast all the ingredients for the masala till the coconut becomes almost brownish. Ensure not to burn. Allow the roasted masala to cool. Add little water and grind into a smooth paste.

In a "chatti" (earthern pot), heat coconut oil. Allow the mustard seeds to splutter. Fry the dry chillies and curry leaves for a couple of seconds. Add in the cooked potatoes along with the water and the ground masala, stir well. Cook till hot. Do not boil as the coconut may crack! Serve warm with rice!!!

A meal of comfort to say the least...

Labels: , , , ,