Dry Chicken Roast

Read this last week as a fellow blogger's status update on FB, loved it so sharing it over here...

“There's a word for it," she told me, "in French, for when you have a lingering impression of something having passed by. Sillage. I always think of it when a firework explodes and lights up the smoke from the ones before it."
"That's a terrible word," I teased. "It's like an excuse for holding onto the past."
"Well, I think it's beautiful. A word for remembering small moments destined to be lost.” 
― Robyn Schneider, The Beginning of Everything.

I have so many times in the past mentioned about umma always takes up the task of deciding the main course when we have guests around, very recently being in the Fruit Custard post that I had done. Well, this is one of the main item that she makes. Not fried and not roasted, this dish is kind of a crossover! I love the way how my umma makes this so effortlessly and makes it taste the same - of course, delicious! - each time she makes it. The time she made this, I ensured that I stood next to her and made her measure out the ingredients she was putting into it so that I could record it for my future reference, and also for all of you who would love to try!!! A hassle free chicken dish which goes so well with chapathis or any pulao...

Dry Chicken Roast
Serves 4
Recipe courtesy: My umma


Ingredients

1 kg chicken, cut into small pcs

For paste:
1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp ginger paste
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp fennel powder
Salt to taste
1 tbsp vinegar
5-6 curry leaves, chopped

For masala:
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tbsp soya sauce
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 capsicum, cubed
3 green chillies, slit

Method:

Combine the ingredients "for paste" in a bowl and coat the chicken well. Set aside for 30 minutes.

In a wok, heat coconut oil and add the marinated chicken into it and cook on meduim-low flame, stirring in between to ensure that the chicken does not stick to the pan. When the chicken is half done, add in the sauces and keep cooking till done. Sprinkle water occassionally if needed, but the chicken should cook in its stock. 

Finally add the onion, capsicum and green chillies and cook for a further five minutes. Switch off and serve warm.

Labels: , , ,