Kozhi Mulakittathu - Chicken in Spicy Sauce

A lot what I write on this blog is a reminder to myself... always...  reminding myself of matters that I can never change... I found this really interesting, nicely shortened and explained beautifully...


Coming to today's recipe, this is another recipe I tried from my cousin's wife's recipes that featured on Vanitha, the first one being the Erachi choru. Somehow, I was disappointed that the recipe was not complete - some ingredients were missing in the list but mentioned in the method, which made me all confused. However, since I was already onto it and was not ready to be bogged down, I went on and made it with measurements that would suit our palates. "Mulakittathu" basically means cooked in a red spicy sauce. Now the curry does not look red, mainly because I did not add too much of red chilli powder. When the ummi cannot take it, I don't expect my kids to take that much of spice!!! Nor can the men take it as well... That's why the color is slightly brownish than it should be. I have noted down a few pointers below to get the red color if this recipe is decided to be made! This tastes awesome with Neychoru and would also go down perfectly with some chapathis or rotis. Off to the way I made it...

Kozhi Mulakittathu - Chicken in Spicy Sauce
Serves 4


Ingredients:

1 kg chicken, cleaned and cut into medium pcs
1 tbsp coconut oil
3 large onions, minced
3/4 tsp ginger paste
3/4 tsp garlic paste
3 green chillies, slit
1 large ripe tomato, chopped
Salt to taste
2 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp Kashmir red chilli powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp black pepper powder

For tempering:
1 tsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
6 shallots, chopped
Coriander and curry leaves for garnishing

Method:

Heat the coconut oil in a saucepan. Saute the onions till soft. Add ginger, garlic and green chillies and cook till the raw smell is gone. Now add in the tomato and cook till it is mashed up. Add the chicken and mix well. Cook for around 5 minutes on medium flame. Add all the masala powders along with the salt, coat it well. Add little water (not necessary as the chicken will leave its stock!) and cook on low flame till the chicken is done.

For final tempering, heat oil in a small fry pan, fry the fenugreek seeds and shallots till soft. Add it into the curry. Garnish with coriander and curry leaves and serve with rice or rotis. 

Notes:

The curry should be having a fierce red color, however, since I did not add much Kashmiri red chilli powder, it looks more pale. Add around 3 teaspoons of Kashmiri red chilli powder and 1.5 to 2 teaspoons of normal red chilli powder for the perfect color - that is if you can take that much of spice levels!!!

Labels: , , , ,