Mutta Kakkathil - Thick Egg Curry

I guess I have written so much over the past few days that I am literally exhausted, so sharing this beautiful slide with all of you...


I was just looking at the overdose of sweet stuff on the blog... oh yes, my blog's name is The Big Sweet Tooth, but even sweet tooths can get a bit fed up with the overload of sugar... hehe... So I guess, I will share some spicy recipes for at least the next couple of days. Sharing with you today a very traditional Malabar recipe... I had bought this book of Faiza Moosa from the Sharjah Book Fair last November among the few that I had purchased. Malabar is the whole north of Kerala, covering from Malappuram to Kannur. I wouldn't say that I know any traditional fare much, because our side cooking is very limited, but I must say that Kozhikode and Kannur has such a wide variety of cuisine and food, that it definitely needs to be stored and safeguarded for future reference. Each time I see any book with "Malabar" word on it, I just take it! Hehe... this is a nice thick egg curry with the richness of coconut milk, adjusted to the liking of my family. A no-tomato preparation, which makes it even more interesting...

Mutta Kakkathil - Thick Egg Curry
Serves 4
Recipe adapted from "Classic Malabar Recipes" by Faiza Moosa


Ingredients:

4 eggs, hardboiled and peeled
1 tbsp coconut oil
3 large onions, minced
2 green chillies, slit
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp fennel powder
1/2 cup water
1 cup thick coconut milk
Curry leaves for garnish
Salt to taste

Method:

Heat coconut oil in a saucepan. Saute onions and green chillies with salt till soft. Add the  ginger and garlic paste and cook till the raw smell is gone. Now add in the coriander, chilli, turmeric and fennel and saute till the coriander becomes a darkish shade. Ensure not to burn the masalas!

Now add the water, and cook on low flame till the masala gets all mashed up. Keep stirring occassionally to ensure that it does not stick to the pan. Add the coconut milk and simmer till thickened. Make silts on the hardboiled eggs and slowly put into the curry. Stir well and cook on low flame for around 5 minutes.

Serve warm with rice or chapathis, garnished with curry leaves.

Notes:

The consistency of this curry is supposed to be really thick, without any curry. I only cooked it till I had some gravy and did not go to thicken it further as per my family requirements. In actuality, you continue to cook till it looks like a dry masala, then add in the eggs and cook for a few minutes till the masala coats the eggs.

Labels: , , , ,