Pepper Mutton Roast

Have we ever wondered why we are upset about life's turns? I guess this slide says it all...


Sharing with you all today, yet another delicious mutton preparation. We all love mutton at home, but do not buy or cook it that frequently as chicken is. Whenever, I get mutton in hand, I always try to experiment with different flavors and recipes. I guess one would agree that there is no substitute to the taste that black pepper lends to mutton - it is like a perfect marriage!!! Load of pepper in mutton just elevates the taste of mutton somehow. That reminds me that I am supposed to get some mutton head and learn to cook from umma as to how to make soup of it. There was a time when umma used to make it once in a while, now I guess it's been ages since I have had it!!! So while I leave all of you with this awesome peppery mutton roast, that we had with some parathas (not home cooked, the frozen ones! Yeah, I went a bit lazy there... hehe...), let me think out how I get umma to make the soup for me... ;)

Pepper Mutton Roast
Serves 3


Ingredients:

500 gm mutton, cleaned and drained
1 tbsp oil
1 small pc cinnamon
2 cloves
1 cardamom
1 tsp whole peppercorns
1 star anise
2 large onions, sliced thinly
2 green chillies, chopped
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1 large tomato, chopped
1 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp fennel powder
2 tbsp black pepper powder (increase more for spiciness)
Salt to taste

Method:

In a pressure cooker, heat oil. Fry the whole masalas till fragrant. Add the onions and chillies and cook till soft. Add the ginger garlic paste and cook for a further 5 minutes till the raw smell is gone. Add the tomatoes and continue cooking till mashed. Finally add the powders and salt and stir for five minutes. Add the mutton, coat well with the masala. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook for three whistles on high flame. Reduce the flame and cook for a further 10 minutes. Switch off and allow the pressure to go by itself.

Open the lid of the pressure cooker, switch on the flame and cook on high flame till the stock is almost dried up and masala coats the mutton. Serve hot with chapathis or roti...

Labels: , , , ,