Tres Leches Cake - Three Milk Mexican Cake

Post number 350, it shows on the right side... Am I excited? Definitely... but am I really excited? I don't know... there has been times when I have wanted to close down the blog. Another option I have been playing with is to finish off the 60+ drafts for which I had painstakingly taken pictures of and take a break from blogging till I feel that I am ready to come back to it with the same frame of mind that I had started this blog with. I started this blog just like a diary of all sorts - of recipes, of my ups, of my downs, of my thoughts, of my ramblings... and so far, it has been so. The way my life has moved has been so etched to this blog. I have as much as I could, toned down my words, so that only I would understand, and the people who are intended to understand, would also know...

I have to say that my energy levels still come from the hits and the lovely comments that I get on this page. That is the main reason, why I still cook something new at least once a week, and click the pictures so that I can post it in order. That is the reason why I am still a part of challenges. That is the reason why I am still wanting to host events at my space. The personal connection that has come with this blog has been immense. I will share with you a peep into one of the emails that I had received from one of the sisters recently, who was tempted by the Spicy Chicken Pizza post and had a few doubts regarding the recipe:

May Allah help you in making your blog useful to all the women like me. You will definitely get a reward from Allah for doing such a wonderful job. May Allah give you baraqat in everything you do. Aameen.

This is what makes me overwhelmed, this is what keeps me going... I never knew that sharing recipes and being frank on matter of the heart could bring in so many good words and blessings, Alhamdulillah... I must say that this 350 comes inclusive of all the lovely bloggers who have been guests at my space and the events I have hosted till now. I sincerely appreciate all the goodness that has come as a part of this blog to me, and InShaAllah, wish to be ever sincere in my intentions till how much ever my energy takes me to blogging on and on... :)


For this special post - Here is the cake I baked for our anniversary last month! This is my first attempt at baking the Tres Leches Cake - which is a Mexican delicacy, a cake soaked in three milks, as the name suggests. I was really a bit worried when I was baking this, however reading through a lot of reviews as to how awesome this cake tastes, I just wanted to try it. I really wanted to see how the sponge would fare after pouring almost three cups of liquid into it. To my surprise, the cake soaked it up all and still maintained its sturdiness! Only the corners, I felt was slightly a bit more soaked up, but must say that it just tasted so good. Another thing I was worried about was the sweetness, and therefore I used lesser sugar in the sponge than mentioned in the recipe. The cake was really mild, with no show of whatsoever of the sweetness of the condensed milk, which I suppose was neutralized by the effect of the evaporated milk and the cream. Yes, a cake full of calories but when it is for a celebration, then why not? Since it was my first time, I did not do any playing around with the flavors, but definitely would love to make this cake - maybe in coffee flavor!!! Let's see, when the time will come... :)

I must definitely say that it was well received by the family. I thought the cake was big enough that I could distribute around, but coming to see, the kids and the B ate up almost half of the cake! Even the die-hard chocoholic Rasha took two servings! My HD thought it tasted really professional! :) So glad he liked it... I bought a small portion for my colleagues, who thought it was a different tasting cake. I had only 1/4 remaining, which was then wiped up the next day for tea. Definitely, highly recommended to try, you will not regret the effort and waiting time for sure...

Tres Leches Cake
Recipe adapted from here


Ingredients:

For sponge cake:
5 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup milk

For tres leches:
1 can (400 ml) evaporated milk
1 can (397 ml) condensed milk
100 gm thick cream

For final touch up:
1 sachet Dream whip, prepared as per instructions
OR
250 ml pack diary whipping cream
3 tbsp icing sugar
1 packet candied mixed fruits for garnish

Method:

Preheat oven to 170 degrees. Generously butter a 13 x 7 inch pan and set aside. (I used my large glass pan).

In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In another bowl, beat the egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar till pale yellow. Add the milk and vanilla and beat till combined. Add the egg mixture to the flour and combine without any lumps. In a clean bowl, with cleaned and wiped beaters, whip the egg whites with 2 tbsp sugar till peaks are formed, but not dry. Add the egg whites into the batter and fold gently to combine.

Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and using the spatula, flatten the top. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes till the top is set and the tester comes out clean.

Allow the cake to cool completely.

In a pitcher, combine the condensed milk, evaporated milk and cream with a whisk. Poke all over the cake using a fork. Slowly pour the mixture, one cup at a time, on all the corners and center of the cake. Pour in three to four intervals allowing the cake to soak up the liquid. You may pour all the liquid, or discard a cup of it, if you feel it is too much for the cake to soak. I used up all the liquid for the cake. Leave the cake overnight for it to soak up all the milk.

Beat the whipping cream with the icing sugar till stiff, or if using non-diary whipping powder, then prepare a sachet as per instructions. Spread out using a spatula on top and draw patterns with a fork. Sprinkle the candied fruits on top. Chill for an hour for the whipped cream to set.

Slice and devour!!!


To have a look at all the #50s and anniversary posts that I have done till date, you can see it here!!!

Linking it to the ongoing Bake Fest #31 happening at my space...



Labels: , , , ,