Nawabi Vegetable Biriyani

Not being in a mood to tap is not something new now... I found this beautiful quote, that requires nothing to go with it, so sharing it with all of you...


I could easily say this is the first vegetarian biriyani to be featured on my blog! Somehow biriyanis in our house has to be chicken, mutton or beef, but never vegetables or eggs. I have always tried to convince my folks at home how good they taste, but to no avail! If you don't have people who don't want to eat what you prepare, then there is no use, right... I prepared this one night when my parents were away and my "bakras" were HD and B. Normally, we never make rice at night, unless and until I really feel like making something. B was a bit hesitant when he saw that I was making biriyani with vegetables. The only solace he garnered was that I was going to serve it with the mutton fry. I must tell you that the house smelt heavenly while preparing this easy rice dish, which was finished off in no time. In fact, both the men commented that they never knew that vegetarian biriyani tasted this good. Not that it is a ticket for me to make vegetarian rice dishes, but at least this was a good start...

Nawabi Vegetable Biriyani
Serves 3
Recipe adapted from here


Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups basmati rice, cleaned and drained
1 large potato, cut in small cubes
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 large onion, thinly sliced
500 ml water
1 tbsp ghee
1/2 cup frozen peas

For grinding:
1/2 cup mint leaves
2 green chillies
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1/4 cup coconut milk
Salt to taste

Method:

Grind the "for grinding" ingredients and set aside.

In a saucepan, heat ghee. Spluter cumin seeds. Add the onion and potato and cook till potatoes are slightly browned. Add in the ground masala and cook for a couple of minutes or till a nice aroma comes. Add the washed rice and saute for a couple of minutes. Add the water, keep on high flame till boiled. Reduce the flame on simmer and cook on closed lid till the rice is almost done.

Give it a stir, add the frozen peas and cook further till completely cooked. Serve warm!

Linking this to "Let's Cook for Father's Day" event at Simply Food...




Labels: , , ,