Sweet Corn Vadas

I would hold on 100% to this little quote. I am one person who tries to express my thoughts and feelings in thousands of words, in different combinations and permutations, yet get misunderstood and misjudged as much as possible. Sometimes, it makes me feel whether it is a problem of my communication or the problem of judgement to the party who hears me speak. Slowly but surely, I am starting to realize how much damage control can be done by just being silent. Words, how much ever you feel that it is being used "wisely" may not be wise enough or convincing enough for the other person listening to you. I was somebody who could not keep quiet much, but now slowly I am trying to inculcate myself with the habit of responding only when it is required and keeping quiet and being patient when it is really required. Yeah, would still take me some time but hopefully the start would be a good enough one, I hope...

Very rarely, I make anything fried for tea time. I find it more therapeutic to bake rather than fry. But sometimes, trying to control the urge to fry is very difficult. Moreover, on my work days, I reach only close to the end of chai time so there is no time or scope for snacking then and it is only during the weekends, if I am stuck at home with nothing else to do - a very very rare happening! - that I go ahead and try to make something for chai. One day, as I craved for masala vadas and had no time to soak chana dal, decided to go for this "cheat vada" version. For those who love their corns, it is highly recommended. Loved the corn bites in between and paired so beautifully with a cup of hot hot sulaimani...

Sweet Corn Vadas/ Patties
Serves 4


Ingredients:

2 cups frozen sweet corn
2 green chillies
5-6 curry leaves
1 small onion, minced
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp paprika powder
A pinch asafoetida (hing)
4 tbsp besam flour*
Salt to taste
Oil for frying

Method:

Boil the frozen sweet corn till cooked and drain well. Keep aside 1/4 cup of sweet and coarsely ground the remaining corn in the blender along with green chillies and curry leaves. Empty into a bowl and add the corn kept aside. 

Add the minced onion, chilli powder, paprika powder and asafoetida along with salt and mix well. If the mixture feels a bit watery, then add the besan flour, one tbsp at a time till the mixture is thickened. I used 4 tbsps. 

Shape into patties. Heat oil in a saucepan, just enough to cover the pan. Shallow fry the patties on both sides till golden brown. Drain on kitchen towels. Serve warm with a cup of chai, along with ketchup or chilli sauce! 

Labels: ,