Be My Guest - Sri Lankan Fish Cutlets

There's hardly anymore days closing into Eid. The last days, which are officially the days of Lailathul Qadr, which appears on the odd nights of the last ten days of Ramadan - the night which is better than a 1000 nights! Last year, I had shared some details here explaining how important this night is to us Muslims. So I would not repeat it again. InShaAllah, hoping that all of us are able to take full advantage of this blessed night and ask for Allah's blessings, His Jannah (paradise) and protection from Jahannam (hell)...

It's the third Saturday and time for another guest post. Just like how the last guest post by Farrukh was special, this is another guest which is special. My interaction with her started over her mince pie that appeared in Lubna's Ramadan series last year. I just wanted to make some mini pies and I was attracted to her base recipe as it sounded really easy. I had some questions to ask her yet was not so sure how to approach her. I pulled up my strings and approached her on FB with my long list of questions. And she so graciously answered all with the patience of a teacher towards a child! That's how I made my Soya Mince Pies with the confidence that she had given me. It is a pity that I have not made them again, thanks to my limited time to try out tea time snacks!

Let me introduce my guest of the day, Farwin, who blogs at Love and Other Spices. A Sri Lankan based in Dubai, it was easy for me to connect to her since we are based in the same place! Just to let you all know that she was featured in the BBC Good Food Middle East August 2013 with a detailed post on how Eid is in Sri Lanka and some easy Sri Lankan recipes. I had promised her that I would definitely try them, as I have preserved them in my huge recipe diary... alas, this also languishes in my whole big list of to-dos! Since I am reminded of it, I must... really very soon! Till then, let's go and see what she has bought about for us today...


Assalamu Alaikum! The much awaited Ramadan finally is upon us and Alhamdulillah,we are now way into the middle of the Ramadan. May it bring the blessings of Almighty on all of us ! Aameen.

I know Rafeeda from Facebook and when she approached me about the guest post sometimes back I didn't think twice before saying yes. A prolific blogger who manages her work, household and kids, I've admired her consistency in keeping up with the posts and her readers engaged.

I'm Farwin, I blog at Love and other Spices. What started merely as a hobby turned into a passion. I wanted to bring the traditional SriLankan cuisine that I grew up with into the blogosphere along with the quick and easy recipes that I try,living here in Dubai. 

Ramadan and Eid in Sri Lanka is pretty much the same as in other South Asian countries. The fish cutlets I've featured here is a quick snack that often grace our Iftar table. We welcome Eid with new clothes, prayers and delectable Eid table. Morning breakfast would consist of Sago Conjee and Stringhoppers and curry. Lunch is yellow rice or ghee rice with an array of curries,chicken,lentil,fried potato with brinjal and pickles. Not to forget the famous steamed pudding called watalappan. Visiting relatives and giving away Eidiya(gifts for kids) are highlights of Eid we really enjoy. Without further ado, let's go to the recipe. We make this cutlet also as a tea time snack and when guests come on a short notice.

Ingredients
300g canned tuna,mackerel or any cooked white fish
3 Potatoes,medium sized,boiled and mashed  
1 onion chopped
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 cumin powder
1/4 tsp pepper powder
few green chilies chopped
juice of a half lime
3 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
salt to taste
1 egg beaten
fine breadcrumbs
oil to fry

Method
Pour abut 1 tbsp oil in a pan and once it's heated,add ginger garlic paste. Saute.
Then add onions, chopped green chilies and the spice powders. 
Saute till onion gets cooked.
Add in the fish, smashing it lightly so that it gets even. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
Add salt. Add in the mashed potatoes and coriander leaves. Then lime juice.
Stir and cook till everything gets mixed evenly.
Adjust seasoning and take off from fire. Let it cool for a few minutes.
Then take some of the mix and shape it into balls. I got around 18 of them.
Dip a ball in beaten egg then finely coat it with breadcrumbs. Repeat the process for all the cutlets.
Fry in a heated oil until golden brown then drain in paper towels.

Serve with ketchup or on its own.

JazakAllah Khairan Farwin for coming by and doing this post for me, despite your really tight schedule... She went on for a long hiatus with her last post on the blog in August last year, before she came back with a bang with this delicious congee last week. Really hoping to see you more in action once you settle down things in life, InShaAllah...

Hoping all of you have a great weekend ahead...

Labels: , ,