Eggless Hungarian Kipfels

Very well knowing that I would not be able to participate in the next two challenges, even if I try my level best, I decided to participate in this month's Baking Eggless Challenge. This month, Gayathri had challenged us to bake Hungarian Kipfels, which is a croissant shaped rolls/ cookies filled with apricot jam inside. Now, just like Gayathri had mentioned, the recipe for kipfels is really confusing - same pages call it rolls, some cookies. The link that she provided was this, which was actually a bit off track for me, considering that it was not a recipe which used totally halaal ingredients. Finally after spending an hour wandering across Google, I finalised on this recipe and worked around it. I halved the recipe and added some yeast, and kept my fingers crossed. The dough did not rise much, maybe very little but I did not want to thwart my attempt. I was really happy that I went ahead and baked it! The final result was a nice crumbly roll, full of calories thanks to the butter and cream cheese, with a nice bite of apricot jam in between. I wished I would have put in a little more apricot jam, but didn't want to make it too sweet... So here I go with the challenge for the month of June... :)

Eggless Hungarian Kipfels
Makes 8


Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup wholewheat flour
100 gm butter, melted
1 cup cream cheese
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp instant yeast
Apricot jam, as required
Crushed walnut, as required

Method:

Combine the flours, butter, cream cheese, sugar and yeast and knead to a non-sticky soft dough. Set aside for an hour to rest. The dough would slighly puff up, not much as the dough is very similar to cookie dough.

Divide into two equal portion. On an oiled surface, spread with your fingers into a thick round and cut into four peices. Put a little apricot jam on a peice and roll from the wider side towards the inside to represent a crescent - here I went wrong, on all rolls! I rolled from the smaller end to the wider one, and that explains the shape! Hehe...

Transfer to a baking pan lined with parchment paper and top with crushed walnut. Repeat for the all the rolls, till 8 are done.

Preheat the oven to 170 degrees and allow the rolls to rest till the preheating is done. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and serve warm with a cup of tea or coffee!!! Crumbly goodness...

Labels: , , , ,