Kluai Nam Wa ~ Bananas in Coconut Milk

The first International Food Challenge that I had participated was in April and I had tried the Bavarian Dampfnudel. For the month of June, Sangeetha had challenged us to some delicious Northern Thai cuisine. There is no doubt that Thailand is one place that is blessed with abundance of nature and definitely a place on my radar to be visited - hopefully when my HD gets time in hand enough for some travel! The staple food is rice, soups and noodles, flavored with their variety of condiments, and desserts are usually fresh fruit or cooked in coconut milk.

I decided to choose the easiest sweet dish that I have ever tried in ages now, I guess!!! Kluai Nam Wa is basically a banana dessert, where a particular type of banana, known as kluai nam wa is cooked in a concoction of coconut milk and palm jaggery till soft. By just reading that, you can imagine the flavors. I go all flat for anything with coconut milk and if it has bananas in it, then I am game for it! I replaced the palm jaggery with brown sugar, just to make it slightly healthy - yeah, just to make myself feel good about it! Thank you so much Sangeetha, for this awesome suggestion. Everybody in the family really loved it!

Kluai Nam Wa ~ Bananas in Coconut Milk
Serves 4
Recipe adapted from here


Ingredients:

400 ml can coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 heaped tbsp brown sugar
A pinch salt
2 large bananas, peeled and chopped

Method:

Combine the coconut milk, vanilla, brown sugar and salt in a saucepan and keep on simmer till it gets hot. Add the chopped bananas and cook for around 5 minutes until just soft.

Serve warm and relish!!!

Labels: , , , ,