Umma's Pothu Curry/ Beef Curry

Like I mentioned earlier, this Ramadan is about a lot of reflection. If I am able to help anybody reading my blog in making slight changes to their thought process when I am doing it for myself, it will definitely give me a sense of satisfaction of having done something commendable! :)

I keep reading these couple of verses from the Holy Qura'an when my chips are down. The emphasis is on three things - gratefulness, patience and perseverance. When calamity strikes in any form, many of us always ask the question, "Why me?" We instantly forget all the blessings that He has given us during our good times. I know trying to change ourself to think this way is not easy... yet, it takes a lot of mental strength to think in this direction. But once we learn the process, our calamity starts looking lighter to us, not because we are not bothered about it, but because of the feeling that He has been with us during the good days and He will definitely take care of our pain. While we be grateful, "be patient and persevere" is what we are being told. If things go wrong, keep trying to rectify it in ways that are pleasing to Allah, and if it doesn't work out, keep trying again and again, with lots of patience. I have been reflecting in my previous blog posts as to how much I pray to Allah for "Sabr". It is definitely a trait that will help us go a long way in bad and good times - to be patient to overcome our trials and to be patient and humble during our good times.

If, last Ramadan, I shared my umma's Varutharacha Chicken Curry, then this time it's her beef curry. Everybody would vouch that mom's cooking is the best. I sincerely hope that my kids would also vouch for that fact once they grow up! Somehow, today's children have such complicated tongues that are so difficult to please! I guess many of you would agree. Whenever we have guests around at home, umma most of the time settles down to makes this beef curry with neychoru and her dry chicken roast and it is always a hit. The best thing is that when she makes it, it tastes the same all the time, but when I try, it tastes different at all times! I guess it's all related to experience... hehe... moving on to share how umma has taught me to make her beef curry...

Pothu Curry/ Beef Curry
Serves 4-6
Recipe courtesy: Umma


Ingredients:

1 kg beef, with bones and little fat
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
3 large onions, thinly sliced
3 green chillies, slit
2 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
2 large tomatoes, chopped
3 tbsp coriander powder
3/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 cup water
1 tsp garam masala powder
2 tbsp vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Curry leaves for garnish

Method:

Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Fry the fenugreek seeds briefly. Add the onions and green chillies with a pinch of salt and saute till soft. Add the ginger and garlic pastes and saute till the raw smell is gone. Add the tomatoes and cook till mashed. Add in the powders and fry for around five minutes or till the coriander gives a darkish shade. Add the beef, water and vinegar and adjust salt. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook on high for three whistles and on simmer for 15 minutes. Allow the pressure to go by itself.

Open the lid, switch on the flame. Sprinkle in the garam masala and cook on simmer for five minutes. Add in pepper as required for your spice levels and switch off. Garnish with curry leaves and serve warm!

Labels: , , , ,