Be My Guest - Raagi Rose Hareera

Blogging brings about new friendships. People that you have never met, but still connect you through the common element. Such a friendship that I have developed is with Umm Fathima, who blogs at My Kitchette. Once, she pinged me on my GTalk through my email address. She told me about her blog, how she came across through my blog through my comments on other blogs. She mentioned that my comments were what made her feel that she would be comfortable with me as a blogger friend. From then on, for the past three months, we have been chatting on and off regarding our children, their school, our places, and common things under the sun!

JazakAllah Umm Fathima, it indeed shows your beautiful mind if you have felt that I was a comfortable person to be with. Not that I am a good person, definitely Alhamdulillah striving to be a better person at every given moment of time... but if the person on the other side feels that you are a person to have friendship with, then it is the beauty in the mind of that person for sure! As a part of our normal chat, I just casually popped a question to her as to whether she could do a guest post on my blog. She was really excited. Very soon, I had an email in my inbox with the post and recipe. That was really quick, dear!

Do visit her space for some really interesting fusion recipes, just like this Avocado Oats Idli and Black Gram Vada. Meanwhile, let's move on to see what she has bought along with her for this lovely guest post...


Hi everyone, I am Umm Fathima , a blogger at My Kitchette. Though I am blogging since one year, I am very new to the blogging world and hardly have time to socialize. This is my first guest post. Rafeeda is one of the first virtual friends I have. She is such a dear, taking time and patience in maintaining friendships and commenting on other blogs. Hats off to her energy and the enthusiasm with which she blogs at "The Big Sweet Tooth". A working women and a mom of two, she is an energetic, warm, talented person. I really love reading about the thoughts and inspiring words that she pens about and her vast collection of South Indian recipes. Thanks dear, for inviting me to be a guest on your lovely blog. May Allah tala fill your life with the same happiness and love which you bring in others life. 

Coming back to me, I am a mother of two beautiful kids with a loving family. Cooking is my new passion acquired after marriage, I experiment and try variations so much so that hardly one dish is repeated in the whole month. But before marriage except studies I was hardly interested in cooking. And this is my humble attempt at collecting some family favorite recipes and many others from the wide web collection. Mostly I am attracted to healthier recipes or I convert them to healthier versions fusing traditionalism with a hint of modernity. I love eating soups and salads at all times of day, along with milkshakes. So you may find a varied collection of them in my blog along with healthier baking ideas. 


Coming back to today’s recipe, Hareera is something which I make more than 3 times in a week. Mostly I make this with raagi or fingermillet, but it can easily be replaced with almonds, cashews, oats, whole wheat, etc. That was one of the recipes I had perfected before marriage and the first thing I made at my in-laws home. Every time I go to India, my mother-in-law and my bhabhis ask me to make hareera to them. And most of the early morning, you would see me cooking with a big pot and moving the ladle till my hand pains. :) Though this is a very simple easy recipe, cooking for a large joint family is a lot of work and takes nearly an hour. But the result is a tasty sweet broth, and I have yet to come up with a single person who did not like it and ask for a second glass. We even give this to babies after 7 months of age and everyone including sick and elderly can also be given this, since its easily digestible. You can even make this lactose free without adding any milk but adding milk gives it a slightly richer taste. 

RAAGI AND ROSE HAREERA

makes – 6-8 glasses                   cooking time :25 minutes

Ingredients

1 glass whole raagi
15 almonds
1 tsp rice
{Soak this three in water for at least 4 hrs}
Sugar- 1 cup
1 cup milk
Fresh rose petals to garnish
1 tsp rose water
1 tsp – gulkhand

Method 

Wash the finger millets and soak them along with the rice and almonds.
Adding just a little water ( 1-2 tsp) grind it smoothly in a mixer or dry grinder. Add water now (half a glass) and grind again…….it will be peach colored milk like. With the help of a big colander or muslin cloth, drain out the milk and collect in a vessel.  Add the solids remains of the raagi again and grind adding little water and again take out the milk till only just the brown residue is remaining. Throw this out. Add sugar to the raagi milk and boil with a slow to medium flame. You must constantly be stirring it. Otherwise it will curdle or burned easily. It will take at least 15 /20 mints till the milk starts to thicken. Add one cup whole milk along with the gulkhand and rose water and switch off the stove. Don’t add more than 1 tsp of gulkhand as it may give a bitter taste. 

In winters it is served warm and in summers it is served cold. Garnish with some dry fruits and rose petals and enjoy. 

Fingermillet or raagi as it is widely known in South India is known to contain an amino acid called Tryptophan which lowers appetite and helps in keeping weight in control. Ragi is rich in Calcium which helps in strengthening bones. It helps in controlling blood sugar level in condition of diabetes, helps in lowering blood cholesterol and much more. To make this more healthier, I usually make this without  sugar and just before serving mix a tsp of honey in the glass. 


JazakAllah Khairan for giving me such a beautiful recipe as guest post... Hope all of you enjoyed having this new guest around...

Have a wonderful weekend ahead!

Labels: ,