Chocolate Squares

How many of us like to clear messes? I am sure not many of us, but when we are forced to, especially being ladies, we seem to have no other option. Why am I talking about messes now? I love it when I have a story to tell before any particular recipe... It's not that I have stories for all, but definitely the ones that have a happening with it is always treasured in a particular way... :)

A few years ago, our office was under refurbishment. A colleague and I were pulling down all the files from the shelves, separating what to keep, what to throw and what to be sent for storage to the warehouses. As we were clearing the hell lot of paper that were there, she landed up on this book. The pages inside were already off white and how long it has been there in that shelf, nobody knows! The edition was 1988 - yep, when I was in primary school! Since she knew I love to bake, she checked with the boss and handed the book over to me. It has been adorning my shelf since then and I so religiously pull it out, go through the pages and put it back into its spot. Not many pictures there, and the recipes are really traditional - breads, buns, scones, waffles, shortbreads, cookies, cakes, and what not... all with loads of butter and eggs and a little bit of patience. One day, finally, when I was at home alone - no umma, no kids, just the whole home to myself - I again pulled up this book and browsed through it to suppress my baking craving. I chose this recipe as it sounded easier and I had every ingredients in the pantry. It was really rich, to say the least... I guess just a look at the recipe would hint at that! Perfect if you are looking for a chocolaty overdose!

Chocolate Squares
Makes 16
Recipe adapted from "Jane Pettigrew's Teatime"


Ingredients:

110 gm all purpose flour
40 gm cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
100 gm butter, melted
225 gm brown sugar
2 eggs
150 ml milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
50 gm hazelnuts, crushed
50 gm walnuts, crushed
50 gm chocolate chunks

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease and flour a brownie pan and set aside.

Sieve the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into a bowl.

Beat the butter and brown sugar till well combined. Add egg one after the other, adding after each addition. Add in the milk and vanilla essence and beat to combine. Slowly add the sieved dry ingredients in three batches, whisking on low speed till combined without lumps. Add the hazelnuts and walnuts and give a slow stir.

Pour the batter into the prepared tin. Sprinkle the chocolate chunks on top. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes till the skewer comes out clean. Cool in pan, slice and devour!


Notes:

1. The original recipe used margarine instead of butter. I don't like nor do I keep stock of margarine, and therefore used butter.
2. Apart from the nuts, the recipe also asks to add 50 gm raisins. I am not keen on raisins so didn't add them. If you love the bite, do go ahead and add them!

I bet this would taste really good with some sweet custard or ice-cream to go with it. But I didn't have any, but still a chocolate lover like me really wouldn't mind having the cake just like that! :)

Labels: , , , ,