Blini ~ Russian Pancakes

This month, as a part of the International Food Challenge, our host Sara bought us some delicious Russian cuisine along. Russia is a country that we have learned so much about in our history classes, from how once it used to be called USSR, and the split, and so on and so forth... believe me, I would not like to sound like a history teacher now! When I say history, I just remembered my teacher back in school. I used to be the only one wide awake in her class, while everybody used to sleep, since I used to love history and was never able to understand how all others could hate it! Hehe... Due to this reason, I was her favorite till I completed school - obviously!

From the list provided, as usual, I went for something that was really easy to make. These Russian pancakes, called Blini, is usually served during the Maslenitsa festival before Lent, with a filling that can range from sour cream, caviar, jam, etc. I had these pancakes just like that, without any accompaniment - that good these were! I devoured them with a mug of hot chocolate over a lazy Friday morning and ended up with a happy tummy. :) Off to the way I made it...

Blini ~ Russian Pancakes
Makes 5
Recipe adapted from here




Ingredients:

1 cup milk
1 large egg
1 tsp sugar
A pinch salt
A pinch baking soda
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp oil
1/3 cup boiling water
Butter, for making the pancakes

Method:

Beat the egg and milk with a whisk. Add the sugar and salt and beat till dissolved. Add in the baking soda, flour, oil and water and mix till you get a watery batter. Allow to rest for 20 minutes.

Heat a pancake pan, drizzle some butter. Pour a ladle of the batter and spread into a thin pancake. Cook for around 2 minutes on one side till the sides are crisp and the bottom looks done. Flip and keep for around a minute. Take out and serve warm!

Notes:

The original recipe is almost four times this measurement. To bring about the batter to a watery side, I added a bit extra boiling water.


Labels: , ,