Green Peas Coconut Milk Curry

I have been missing my parents terribly. There were times when they were around, that I wished I could stay away from them, but now when they are truly away from me, I feel the void in my life! I guess that's with all of us... just like a proverb in Malayalam, that you will know the value of the eye only when it is lost. They are now on a short vacation to the US, to be with my sister and she along with her little boy is mighty excited. I can vouch for her feelings now - how much she would have missed them during all those times that she stayed back home in India. I guess now it's time for me to go through that phase and wish her the best, so that she enjoys their company, when they are around, InShaAllah.... While I was feeling a heaviness, it was lightened by a friend's remark that how my parents have been blessed to have their daughters' company throughout all these years. I never thought it in that way! Many of us, thanks to our cultural biases, look at our daughters as a property which is gone out of the house after a particular time, never to come back. Alhamdulillah, I am glad that I have been around them when they were here, my sister has been with them whenever they were home and now there... This only goes to show how much we have to respect His Plans in our life! Alhamdulillah.... Alhamdulillah Ala Kulli Haal... :)

To call it a silver lining in midst of the gloom, happy to share this little interview of this humble blogger in Smart Indian Woman! :) It is only due to all of your support that I have this little space of mine, thank you one and all for being around...

I have already mentioned a few times on the blog the difficulty of making my folks at home have vegeterian food. It always makes me scroll through my files or the mobile to find a suitable way of cooking lentils or vegetables differently from how I normally do. I have already shared a curry with green peas, which is the usual way I make it, but then making the same thing every time invites some dirty looking frowning faces, which definitely I would not like to see! Hehe... This one was a nice mild curry which went so well with the chapathis I made with them... would taste awesome with rice as well! :)

Green Peas Coconut Milk Curry
Serves 4


Ingredients:

3/4 cup green peas, soaked overnight
1 tbsp coconut oil
4 pc clove
2 small pc cinnamon
2 medium onions, sliced
2 green chillies, slit
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp fennel powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
Salt to taste
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup thin coconut milk
1/4 cup thick coconut milk
Curry leaves for garnish

Method:

Heat coconut oil in a pressure cooker. Fry the cloves and cinnamon briefly. Add the onions and green chillies and cook till the onions are transparent. Add the ginger and garlic paste and fry till the raw smell is gone. Add the tomato and cook till mashed. Add the masala powders and saute till the coriander powder gets a dark shade. Add the water and the thin coconut milk, adjust the salt. Cook for three whistles on high flame and then another 15 minutes on low flame - or till done.

Switch off the flame and allow the pressure to go by itself. Open the lid and keep the curry on low flame. Add the thick coconut milk and cook on simmer for 5 minutes - do not boil! Add the curry leaves and serve warm!

Labels: , , , , ,